Speaking of giraffes...did you know they are my favorite animal?
I didn't grow up with animals as part of my family. (Karim and Aneez - That is meant to be a compliment to both of you.) I have never known what it means to love and lose a dog or cat. I never wanted a pony for my birthday. If you went to a certain summer camp with me on Doe Lake circa 1997, you will remember how I singlehandedly AND accidentally was responsible for the death of 200 goldfish.
Nonetheless, I have always always been fascinated by giraffes.
I can count the giraffes in my life on one hand. I have a gorgeous stuffed animal named Gerry the Giraffe given to me by my Mark along with two toy giraffe figurines and I also have a giraffe t-shirt. Yup those are all the giraffes I have. Today I am thankful for these beautiful leggy, graceful Africans. They make me smile tall. :)
Here are five interesting things you might want to know about giraffes:
- They are indeed the tallest animal in the world. (Yao Ming is only half the height of the average male giraffe. Don't fret Yao - I am roughly the height of an adult giraffe's neck.)
- They eat about 140 pounds of food a day. (That would be like eating my nephew Kahzmir up three times over - and he's so yummy that I've seriously thought about it!)
- Giraffes actually only sleep an average of 60-90 minutes a day. (Probably because they have to leave enough time in their day to eat all that food.)
- Male giraffes perform a type of dance to attract the female giraffe. (Mark did the "worm" for me in his parent's basement when we first started hanging out. It was quite impressive.)
- No two giraffes have the same colouring and spots. Each one is a unique and beautiful animal, just like you, just like me. Thank God for that.