Recent Posts

Friday, October 23, 2009

Rain Songs



It's been raining in Toronto. 

Not the kind of rain that beats down so hard
that it creates its own soundtrack to your day. 
Not the kind that makes you giggle and feel
like you've made a great escape once you're back indoors. 
Not the kind that is the topic of conversation.
 It's been a constant, dull, chilly type of rain.

I love the rain.  I admit that I also love to hate the rain. 
I love the sound of the rain - always.  It's calming even when it's forceful. 

The rain is humbling.  We run from it and we want to stay out of it.  It's just water and we can't live without it.

One of the things I love about the rain is on my iPod - it's the playlist I call Rain Songs.  Here it is:
  • Adele - Right as Rain - Adele makes light of an imperfect life with this upbeat song.  What I love more than anything is her voice and cheekiness.
  • Eurythmics - Here Comes the Rain Again - This is the kind of rain song that makes you wanna crawl under the covers, wrap yourself in heartbreak and never come out. 
  • Jamie Cullum - London Skies - I can't help but pick up my step when I listen to this song.  I think I read or heard somewhere that it's Cullum's love letter to London and it's pesky weather.  I loved listening to this song earlier this month when I was on a train pulling into London - in the rain.
  • Jamie Cullum - Singin' in the Rain - I love this version of this song.  The way Jamie sings it so gently fills me up with hope and promise and makes me feel like I can achieve anything.
  • Prince - Purple Rain - Prince can break your heart sinigng any lyric or melody any time.  Genius. 
  • Maroon 5 - Sunday Morning - Love the lazy pulse of this song espeically the lyrics:     
"Sunday morning rain is falling
Steal some covers share some skin (I like that)
Clouds are shrouding us in moments unforgettable
You twist to fit the mold that I am in."        
  • New Edition - Can You Stand the Rain - I love the way this song starts out with a rush of rain and birds chirping and ends with gentle rolling thunder. I also love Rick's solo (especially when he hits that high note and sings "And I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE you.") More than that it is a song about unconditional love - I hope you have someone in your life who loves you that way. I'm so blessed to have friends and family who love me just as I am.
Thank goodness for the rain.  Do you have any Rain Songs that you can share with me?  Don't forget to tell me why.

4 comments:

Karim Kanji said...

The Do-Wah's (Four Square) have a song called, "it's raining"...nice for kids!

ll

Anonymous said...

Duffy's 'Warwick Avenue.' Don't know why...sounds melancholy and fit for a rainy day, I guess. And the swell in the middle reminds me of a swelling thunderstorm...

Roxy

Faiza said...

@roxy - i'm a sucker for a song that swells...

Anonymous said...

Please listen to thos song!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC2Fu20X_KY

Post a Comment

It's so nice to hear from you! Hope your day is a lovely one!