Recent Posts

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Feeling Olympic

In my last post, I quoted a line from Love Actually.  Today, I credit the movie Cool Runnings for my post's title. In the movie, Doug E. Doug's character Sanka says "I am feeling very Olympic today.  How about you?"  His optimism and enthusiasm are so genuine making it one of the most memorable moments of the movie.

The 2010 Olympics are in Vancouver, Canada.  Canadians like me are feeling patriotic, energized and excited!  Check out my mischeviously endearing nephew Kahzmir in his Olympic gear.

 
The Olympics bring out a passion for sport, a respect for all people and a yearning to connect with friends and strangers all over the world.  It's a unifying time across the globe.

For as long as I can remember, my cousin Aashif has been a huge fan of sports and the Olympics.  Over the holidays, I spent some time with him along with my cousins Farah, Alida and Zahida.  It was a visit filled with celebrating and supporting each other.  Aashif was making some positive changes to his lifestyle after a set back to his health.  A newly married Farah told us about her first months of wedded bliss and her inner debate about changing her last name.  Alida told us about the bullet proof vest and helmet that greeted her on her first day at her new and rewarding job in Kabul, Afghanistan.  Zahida made a valliant effort to stay awake for the conversation, tired from endless hours of studying for exams in her first year of Med School in Dublin, Ireland.

The conversation then turned to this:

Every year my cousin Aashif and his wife Yasmin create these amazing gingerbread houses with two of their nephews.  This year, they decided to honour the Olympics and created a snowboarding hill!  (I'd like to point out that I am typing this post and watching Maelle Ricker snowboard to GOLD for Canada!  Woohoo!  Darn Olympics just ruined my make up!)

VANOC folk, please note that the model is not to scale.

Here's a closer look at the hill built from Rice Krispies and covered in fondant.  There is candy floss at the bottom of the hill to give the illusion of freshly fallen snow. 
Aashif printed and cut out each and every one of these flags.  
Who knew he was so crafty?

These snowboarder ornaments complete this work of art.

As I watch the Olympics this year, I am reminded and so appreciative of a perfect afternoon I spent with family.  I'm also thankful for just how small the world can be and grateful that I have the tools and technology to keep in touch with family and friends all over the world while feeling connected to a community that is bigger than that of where I live, work, play and dream. 

GO CANADA GO!

13 comments:

rachel awes said...

oh faiza, i too love how the olympics connect people from around the world!!! & that model is so yummy happy amazing!! "i feel olympic"..what a great quote! & what a great one for that heart of yours. love skating from my door to yours.

bklyn76 said...

wow, that hill looks delectable! and kahz is too cute! i haven't been keeping up with the olympics much this time around, but your post just gave me that *olympic feeling*!

Faiza said...

@rachel - would love to see the olympics appear in yoru art somehow...

@bklyn76 - canada is having a great day at the olympics! the men's curling team won (deanna's cousin is on the team), we got a gold in women's snowboard cross and the men's hockey team is currently winning 3-0 in the 2nd period against norway. tune in!

Doublesided said...

No way that gingerbread house is amazing!! What talent, and I love the thought of candy floss - mmmm!

Its 2am where I am and Im sitting up watching the olympics - Ive had it on solid since it started & we've no hope of a medal!

Faiza said...

@Doublesided - Good morning to you! Love your Olympic Spirit! Will you make your way over to London for the 2012 Summer games?

KOS! (Keep On S'myelin!) said...

Feel the rhythm! Feel the rhyme! Get on up, its gold medal time! TEAM CANADA!

Yay, we won another gold medal today!

Cute pic of your nephew (great wagon!). And that candy hill is fantastic!

Faiza said...

@KOS! - That ditty is going to be in my head all day and I don't mind one bit! Go Canada! That wagon was mine when I was a kid and it's still kicking around.

Krin said...

You are surrounded by the most creative friends and family Faiza - wow! So awesome.

As you know, I'm LOVIN' the Olympics too!!!

Faiza said...

@Krin - I don't doubt it for a second!

TR!LO said...

I love the snowboarding hill!
It must have taken hours to make it!!

Coleen Franks said...

Nice model Faiza. Great creativity. I have another blog that you might want to check out. I'd really appreciate your following there: http://franksukraine.blogspot.com
In addition, if you are on facebook we have a fan page called vintageterrace2 that is filled with lots of lovely ideas for creativity.
Smiles on your day,
Coleen

chandlerguera said...

That is such a cool ski mountain! Very clever.

Faiza said...

@chandlerguera - Thanks!

Post a Comment

It's so nice to hear from you! Hope your day is a lovely one!