Recent Posts

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I Heart Hula Hoops!

Words cannot accurately describe how my heart goes all a flutter when I see a bag of Hula Hoops.  They are made from my love - the potato.  They are molded into the most perfect shape - a circle.  Why they don't exist in Canada, I will never ever understand...

I had my first bag Sunday on the way to Croydon.  Aneez and I settled into the PieShaker on our way to meet our cousins Shireen and Rehaana for lunch.  We happily discovered that there was a game on the back of each tasty bag.  Considering our foray into the world of Jenga Extreme from the night before, it was fun to see this:

I sense a rematch on the horizon.

We met up with our cousins and headed to the town centre.  As we walked over to MISO Noodle House for lunch, we passed a British Heart Foundation Charity Shop.  I love treasure hunting at various British charity shops and came away with two great finds.  First, was this book entitled, "The Ants Are My Friends: Misheard Lyrics, Malapropisms, Eggcorns and Other Linguistic Gaffes." 

Oddly enough, I had just been telling Vanessa that I thought that TLC's "Chasing Waterfalls" was about a boy named "Jason Waterfall."  There is no mention of Jason Waterfall in my charity shop book but I know what I heard...


I also found this amazing travel pouch for jewellery.  I had packed in a bit of a rush and relegated my accessories to this Ziploc below:  


Post purchase - VOILA!

Sunday night, Vanessa kindly offered me her ticket to Dave Goreman's  "Sit Down, Pedal, Pedal, Stop and Stand Up (Only Without the Pedal, Pedal Bit) Tour" at The Anvil Theatre in Basingstoke.    It was one of the funniest, most intelligent and brilliant comedy shows I have ever seen.  Thanks Vanessa!  And as a bonus to the night, Aneez and I discovered what Billy Ocean has been up to.
Looking good Billy!

On Monday, I spent the day with me!  I slept in, went into the town centre, engaged in some retail therapy and went for a walk with my iPod.  When I was in the town centre, my phone ran out of juice.  I kept asking strangers for the time.  Everyone I asked seemed overly happy to be able to provide me with the time.  The people of Basingstoke are a kind bunch.  Just as I was heading out of the town centre, I looked up and saw the clock tower that had been there the whole time!  
Monday ended with a lovely Green Curry Chicken dinner prepared by yours truly.  There was enough curry for the three of us and enough rice for a baseball team.  I'm not sure what happened there but it was delicious!

I wonder if rice would make a good side dish for Hula Hoops?

10 comments:

Zoë said...

sounds like you are having a great trip! I have no idea what Hula Hoops are... I may have to get an overseas friend to mail me a pack.

Felicity said...

Thanks for sharing, sounds like you're having fun. I love seeing packaged foods from other countries and love your thrift finds, especially the book!

bklyn76 said...

um, we have ringolos, my dear! come home and i'll treat you to a bag! we can even play these games you speak of! [can you tell i miss you???]

sounds like you're having a ab fab trip...but seriously, come home now.

Meghan said...

Wait, hula hoops are made out of potatoes and there are no hula hoops in Canada? Wow and Wow! And I love me some Billy Ocean!

Your trip sounds so marvelous!

SylvieinToronto said...

Ringalo's sound suspiciously similar to Hola Hoops... these yummy potato hoops are made by Humpty Dumpty and are best eaten one at a time from each finger... as the daughter of a Humpty Dumpty salesman... I ate a few of these in my time. We'll have to find some to see how they compare to your beloved Hoola Hoops.

Faiza said...

@Zoe - Thanks! Get a friend to mail you a pack stat!

@Felicity - The book is hilarious. I'll post some gems from it soon.

@bklyn76 - I miss you too! That would explain the cheesy BBM photos I keep sending you.

@Meghan - I knew you would understand the madness that is the Hula Hoop absence in Canada.

@SylvieinToronto - I heart your Dad!

rachel awes said...

hoola hoops are so happy/love that about them!
& love that traveling jewelry organizer!
& what an amazing day to spend it with yourself/the gorgeous faiza!!!!
i love your scrumptious life peeks!
xoxox loads of love your way, dearest.

Faiza said...

@rachel awes - thank you dear rachel. hope your vacation was scrumptious too!

christy b., that's me! said...

I wondered what happened to Billy Ocean...now I know! :o)

Faiza said...

@christy b - lol!

Post a Comment

It's so nice to hear from you! Hope your day is a lovely one!