Recent Posts

Friday, April 16, 2010

Opening Day 2010!

As Aneez would say, "It's the most wonderful time of the year!"

Monday was the 2010 Opening Day for the Toronto Blue Jays.  I was one in a sold out crowd along with my seatmates Riaz, Karim, Kahzmir, Naaz and Kushan.  The energy was ELECTRIC!  The Jays hosted Obama's favourite team  the Chicago White Sox.  (The new home of former Jay and former crush Alex Rios.  He doesn't look as yummy in gray and black.)  The Jays came into the game with 5-1 record.   Despite a loss in the 11th inning, they were excellent!

I always feel so fortunate to live in a city that has a facility like the SkyDome (now known as the Rogers Centre.)  I'm awestruck as soon as I walk through the underpass towards my seat...

Anytime the Jays play a game, you get to hear both the Canadian and American anthems.  This doesn't happen at any other games in the league.  Here is the set up for the cast of The Jersey Boys who....

...performed a really fun, four part harmony version of each anthem.  And check out Cito just in front of them!
Snacks from Canada, the US and England.
An excited Kahzmir was just one of the fans in the sold out crowd of over 46,000 people.  (Sadly, only a few days later the Jays would post a record low attendance.  I really hope the Jays can bring in more fans this year.  Wanna come to a game with me?)  Kahzmir had a blast singing "We Will Rock You." He was super cute jumping up and down and yelling at the top of his lungs when Vernon Wells hit a home run early in the game. This was Kahzmir's fourth Home Opener and he's only four years old!  (He was three weeks old when he could have attended his first Home Opener but was busy with a parade of visitors at that time of his celebrity life...)

I am always perplexed at the player photos.  They are usually badly lit, out of focus, a showcase of awful facial hair and they really don't do the players justice.  All the players end up looking so down trodden and desolate.  Sadly Juan Pierre had the worst photo of the game.  I have love for you Juan Pierre.  You had a great big beautiful smile at every at bat despite having to look up and see this photo on the 33m by 110m JumboTron (now known as the Rogers Centre videoboard.)   Your picture makes me wanna hug you and tell you that everything is going to be okay...

I've got one game down and two more to go this month.  Looking forward to the next game next week!

9 comments:

Zoë said...

Baseball makes me think of the days when I was a kid and the Expos were still around and every father's day my dad would get tickets and take us to a game and we'd get cracker jacks.

Faiza said...

@Zoe - I've been looking for Cracker Jacks all week but haven't been able to find them anywhere (other than online.) Am so happy that you have such special baseball memories. :)

Melanie Jane said...

Cracker Jacks can be found in the little shop (sometimes) at the end of our street at work in the magazine shop:)

rachel awes said...

faiza, you are as fun as you are loving & compassionate! how i wish i could say "excuse me, excuse me" & shuffle along/in front of people's nobby noble knees in your row there & arrive in front of your seat & say "faiza!!" & give you a big hug!
xox

Meghan said...

I love your enthusiasm!!! Hope you enjoy baseball season!

And go White Sox!!! Gotta give my hometeam a shout-out!

uglygirl said...

I would love to experience a baseball game! If I'm ever in Toronto, I will go to a game.

Faiza said...

@Melanie - Thanks for the tip!

@rachel - that would be a wonderful hug!

@Meghan - Yay basbeball! Cupcakes taste better in the bleachers!

@uglygirl - I would take you myself!

bklyn76 said...

faiza, your love for baseball is infectious! even i get excited and i usually don't have the attention span for all 9 innings! love the pics! kahzmir is a lucky boy!

Faiza said...

@bklyn76 - it's so much fun! the company you keep is pretty important. you'd make a great diamond date!

Post a Comment

It's so nice to hear from you! Hope your day is a lovely one!