Recent Posts

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Snail Mail Tale - Felicity

I wasn't going to check the mail today.  I really wasn't.

I came home through the entrance by the mail boxes and decided I might as well clear out some junk mail.  Under a pile of gym pamphlets (they won't make the pamphlet club suggested reading list) and some real estate postings was a marigold yellow envelope from Felicity!  YAY!  (I can't remember if I gave her my mailing address but now that I have hers...I can't wait to send something back!)

Upon tearing open the envelope, mine eyes first feasted upon this delicately wrapped package and these messages.  I giggled out loud to myself! I love her "HAPPY" and "BIRTHDAY" fonts.  It's always fun to see other people's handwriting too.

Amongst the beautiful fuschia tissue paper were these stickers.  I heart the Wizard of Oz and Elvis ones.  I think I might be able to do something special with the butterfly stickers and my classification envelopes.  And one can NEVER have enough puffy stars!
The best part of snail mail for me is the personal nature to it.  I love to see stamps and handwriting from all over the world.  The handmade nature of wrapping packages or creating and decorating envelopes is such a gift.  Every single person has creativity within them.  I am fascinated by how it comes out in a multitude of ways. 

Felicity is such a curious artist.  She always mixing media and trying new things out.  I love to look at her quirky photos.  Lucky me got some of her handmade envelopes created from old National Graphic maps. Both maps had Africa on them!  On the larger one, I found Uganda, where my Mom (Kampala) and Dad (Mbale) are from.  I think the brown ones are re-purposed from lunch bags which makes them useful AND environmentally friendly! To compliment the theme of reusing, Felicity sent me some seeds for planting.

And how fun is this pocket book?  And these chiquita books?  I put a quarter in front of one of the chiquita book so you could see the scale.  How did her fingers manage to create these tiny wonders?
Gracias mi amigo creativo y pensativo! 
You are such a nice blogger buddy too :)

(Hey Spanish speaking friends - did that make any sense?)

10 comments:

Felicity said...

¡Faiza De nada! And I dug up your address from swap-bot : x

rachel awes said...

sweetie, you get the best mail EVER!!
i adore that wrapping paper in the post directly below! always delightful to see. xo

bklyn76 said...

your mailbox is always filled with such wonderful surprises! :)

Faiza said...

@Felicity - How resourceful! I've actually been wanting to send you something and wasn't sure how to get your address. I was going to email your mom through her blog but I thought it might weird her out. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

@rachel awes - snail mail is love with a stamp, a journey and a destination. it's so wonderful! i wonder if you could translate your art into wrapping paper somehow?

@bklyn76 - my mailbox is filled with so much love that i think i hear it burp sometimes...

Melanie Jane said...

What does your doorman/ woman think? He / She must be so curious as to what is in all your packages :)

Krin said...

"Thank you my creative and thoughtful friend"...made sense to me! :) (Granted, my Spanish is very basic...)

What a great package!!

Christy said...

Hi! I love your blog! And snail mail is SO great =)

Faiza said...

@Melanie Jane - When the packages go through the concierge desk, they love it! They get so excited for me.

@Krin - De nada!

@Christy - Welcome to my blog. I agree, snail mail is GREAT!

christy b., that's me! said...

Hi Faiza! Love the blog. Thanks to Postcrossing, you now have a new "follower".

Faiza said...

@christy b., that's me! - welcome! looking forward to sending you a postcard very soon!

Post a Comment

It's so nice to hear from you! Hope your day is a lovely one!