Recent Posts

Monday, June 21, 2010

Do you Dewey? 1978!


I was perusing CDs at my local library branch (shout out to City Hall!) when I came across a bunch of Billboard Top Hits CDs from various years and decided to reserve the one from 1978, the year I was born.  I wanted to hear what my parents and brothers were hearing when I was born and I also wanted to see how many of the songs I recognized.

Two months later, the CD arrived and I've been listening to it on repeat.  The track listing on the front is not the order in which the songs are played.  Here's what I've been hearing along with what I've been thinking:

We Are the Champions - Queen
Who doesn't feel like a superhero when they hear this song?  And how fitting that it was a hit the year I was born?  My name means victorious!   Second only to Michael Jackson, I wish I could have seen Freddie Mercury live.  The man made unitards and track pants paired with denim shirts look soooooo cool!

Hot Child in the City - Nick Gilder
This is one of those songs that is perfect for a roadtrip on a sticky hot summer's day with the windows rolled down and a open road full of mirages ahead of you.

It's a Heartache - Bonnie Tyler
Tyler's voice sounds heartbroken.  She interprets the lyrics beautifully but this song was kinda lost on me in terms of the hit factor.

Take a Chance on Me - Abba
Sorry Abba.  Every song of yours now conjures of images of the Meryl for me.

Baby Come Back - Player
Anyone seen my Swiffer?

Reminiscing - Little River Band
I.Love.This.Song! (Especially the lyrics!)  Would love to hear someone like Jamie Cullum cover it.  (He can basically do no wrong as a performer and vocalist in my world.)  Does anyone know if this song has been covered?  I am asking you Aussies especially, since this band is one of your exports...

Lay Down Sally - Eric Clapton
An easy, breezy, catchy tune.  Another one that I'd put in the "roadtrip" category.  Country music fans would probably like this track.

If I Can't Have You - Yvonne Ellman
I remember this song from Saturday Night Fever and am glad the Bee Gees didn't sing it in the movie.  I know they recorded it later but I just can't believe three grown men (who are brothers) singing such a devastating song in harmony.  Love Adam Lambert's contemporary cover from American Idol.  The chorus is quite different but it works.

Kiss You All Over - Exile
The bassy, raspy voice of Jimmy Stokley got my attention at first but as soon guitarist JP Pennington tags in and starts singing his bit, I start to feel a little creeped out.  And the chorus of soprano-like voices at some points is not sexy at all.  Great lyrics, great melody, poor execution in my opinion - but then again it was a hit back in 1978!

I Go Crazy - Paul Davis
Another disco break up song.  I love break up songs and even listen to them when I work out.  They pump me up for some strange reason.  But in the style of disco they just don't cut it.  I found an amazing Rn'B cover by Will Downing.  He's got that smooth, sultry, rich voice very reminiscent of Luther Vandross.) 

Wikipedia does a cool overview of years in music.  I googled "1978 in music" and also found out:
- The Blue Brothers made their debut on Saturday Night Live
- YMCA, I'm Every Woman and Wonderful Tonight were among some of the other hits of that year.

The CD insert also mentions that:
- VCRs were changing the market in 1978!  Does anyone still have one?  I do!
- The first test tube baby was born.
- The Yankees beat the Red Sox to get to a World Series final and trounce the Dodgers.  (Grrrrrrrr!)
- Top movies that year were Grease and Superman.

So what was going on the year you were born?


P.S. Have my first guest blogging gig on Thursday...stay tuned!

16 comments:

tez said...

I love how often you go to the public library... and how much you use such a great resource

Okay... in 1976:

- U2, The Clash and The Cure were formed
- A wax likeness of Sir Elton John was put on display at Madame Tussaud's in London
- 5 highest chart positions: Abba had #1 with Dancing Queen AND #4 with Fernando; Queen came in 2nd with Bohemian Rhapsody; holding down the #3 spot was Chicago with If You Leave Me Now; in 5th was the timeless duet by Elton and Kiki - Don't Go Breaking My Heart.
- Some top movies that year were Taxi Driver and Rocky

tez said...

p.s. - I heart you!

Farah said...

TT!! I'm back!! ;)

rachel awes said...

oh how i love this! i was born in 1966 & remember these tunes well! just recently, i was in the car & blasting the tune "lay down sally" over & over while singing loudly! how funny is that?! (& haven't listened to it in forever!). i have memories w/all of these songs & thank you for bringing me beautifully back! xox

christy b., that's me! said...

OK y'all...I'm gomna do one better...I have the actual CD...LOL.

Exile is from Kentucky and they are always playin' fairs now. They are MUCH older, but just as good...still kinda creepy. :o)

Until I bought this...I thought Nick Wilder was a girl...his voice sounds way girly. :o)

1973...what a year.
Bad, bad Leroy Brown-Jim Croce
Let's Get it On-Marvin Gaye
You're so Vain-Carly Simon

Love them to this day!

Faiza said...

@tez - i heart you too! bohemian rhapsody is one of my all tiem faves!!

@farah - welcome back tt!

@rachel - wowzers! i love that you have all these great memories. how funny that 'lay down sally' was a part of both of our lives likely on the same day!

@christy b - we so need to meet over some music and daytime tv!

Anonymous said...

I was so flashing back, I was six and just moved from the country (back then north of Newmarket was the country!) and I fell in love with this city -- spent that summer in Jasper Alberta - Dancing to many of those songs!!! Crazy, thanks for the flash back.

Melanie

Krystal said...

that is such a cool thing to get!!

Faiza said...

@Melanie - Don't you love how a song can take you way way way back?

@Krystal - It really is! The best part has been hearing what these songs mean or remind others about. :)

Claire Kiefer said...

I love Lay Down Sally (and all Eric Clapton for that matter)! :)

I was born in 1981:
*MTV launched on cable tv!
*Reagan appoints first female Supreme Ct. justice, Sandra Day O'Connor
*Music top hits: Kim Carnes "Bette Davis Eyes," Journey "Don't Stop Believin," Rolling Stones "Start Me Up"

:)

Oh and did you get my card yet??

Marz said...

1978 was truly a good year! You were born and it was a great time for music!!! Thanks for the Bee Gees pic even though they didn't sing the song in the movie or on your CD (I LOVE Barry -he is my ABSOLUTE fav! I was way more a Bee Gees fan the way people are about the Beatles).
I love that you go to the library! When Micaela and my nieces are here I plan on taking advantage of the library. You have inspired me. I went online to see the calendar of events and they have some really fun things planned for the kids that I think the girls will love! :)
Thank you SO much for the letter!! :) I LOVE the seahorse you drew! You are the best!! Can't wait to reply :) xo

Faiza said...

@claire - yes! yes! i got it! just writing about it right now. THANK YOU SO MUCH! '81 was a great year too!

@Marz - make sure to let me know how your library adventures go. if anyone else told me they liked barry i would roll my eyes. but when you say it, it is endearing!

Louisa said...

1989 (I hope this bring back some memories)

4 Non Blondes,Cherry Poppin' Daddies and the Dixie Chicks were formed

Michael Jackson was named King of Pop after receiving the Soul Train Heritage Awards.

Top songs from that year are
Like a Prayer,Eternal Flame,Girl I'm Gonna Miss You,Girl I'm Gonna Miss You, Every Rose Has Its Thorn

Top Movies Batman and Little Mermaid

Lisa said...

I'll have to look into this!--I was born in 1975 : ) I'll go look at my library's on-line catalog to see if I can find my Billboard c.d.!

Congratulations on your guest blogging gig, Faiza!

Leah (Auri) Lawrence said...

Gosh Louisa and I are young'ins but the 70's and 80's was where it was at!
so anyways 1990 was my year.

February 14 - 50,000 fans watch The Rolling Stones play the first of 10 concerts at Tokyo's Korakuen Dome, the beginning of the Stones' first ever tour of Japan.


February 16 - Ike Turner is sentenced to 4 years in prison for possession of cocaine.


April 7 - Neil Young, Elton John, Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp, Guns N' Roses and Jackson Browne perform at Farm Aid IV in Indiana. John dedicates "Candle in the Wind" to AIDS patient Ryan White during his performance. White dies later that evening.


May 29 - In Canada,Toronto police threaten to arrest Madonna if she performs her simulated masturbation scene during her performance of "Like a Virgin" on her Blond Ambition Tour. Madonna refuses to change her show, and the police decide not to press charges, later denying that they had ever threatened to press charges (a claim refuted by footage captured during the filming of Madonna's 1991 documentary Truth or Dare).


August 27 - Stevie Ray Vaughn dies in a helicopter crash after a show.


September 11 - After a decade of performing in the Francophone world, Céline Dion makes her formal English-language debut in the United States with the release of her album Unison.


November 27 - "Vocal" group Milli Vanilli admits to lip-synching hits such as "Girl You Know It's True." They later have their Grammy award revoked.

Awesome post Fiaza, :) it inspired me to post about it on my blog.

Faiza said...

@Louisa - I remember going to see The Little Mermaid in the theatre and loving it!

@Lisa - Don't you just love the library!

@Auri - Milli Vanilli really broke my heart back then! Sigh.

Post a Comment

It's so nice to hear from you! Hope your day is a lovely one!