Recent Posts

Thursday, June 24, 2010

Top 5 Thursday - Welcome to the Attitude for Gratitude Edition

This post was originally written on June 2, 2010. It's my first foray into guest blogging and is up today at The Perfect Compilation Tape.  You can read it here or there. Whatever you decide, you should definitely think about following Meghan's blog. So here we go:
_______________________________________________
Hi Everyone! My name is Faiza and I blog over at It's Gonna Be A Lovely Day.

So here's the story of Meghan and I. We met as swap partners during a Stationery Swap hosted by Megan at Time After Tea. I've been a fan of Meghan since putting together this package for her. And I confirmed my lifetime fan club membership status when she sent me this amazing package.

It's Gonna Be A Lovely Day is my latest attempt at a gratitude journal. I share and reflect on the people, places and things that bring joy, laughter, love, light, happiness and inspiration to my life. My blog is named after my second favorite song Lovely Day by Bill Withers. I can't help but grin ear-to-ear and sing along every time I hear this song. In the spirit of gratitude, let me say that I am so thankful to our Meghan for allowing me to be a guest blogger while she gallivants (quite deservedly) across Europe.

So it's Thursday today at The Perfect Compilation Tape. Without further adieu, here is my attempt at a Top 5 Thursday list. Welcome to the Attitude for Gratitude Edition.

It's so easy for us to complain and grumble, to get down and grumpy. It's human nature and therefore completely natural but gratitude, well that takes practice. It takes attitude. I'm challenging all of you to join me in creating a Top 5 List of things you are grateful for over the next few days. Blog about it and link back here so we can share our gratitude with each other. I promise you that practicing gratitude will make you laugh more, love harder, smile taller and look up (you'll see what I mean...)

Here's a quick gratitude list of mine from the past 24 hours.


5. My local library. I recently placed a bunch of movies on hold at my local library branch. I received an email notification that some items were now available for pick up. The timing couldn't be more perfect as it's raining today. Now, I didn't expect to be picking up ALL of this when I went to the library.

4. Art! It's amazing how much more you experience if you make a small effort to just look UP every now and again. This is especially true when you are walking the same routes day in and day out. My local library branch also happens to be at Toronto's City Hall. I was walking through City Hall to get back to work, a route I take at least once a week, and I looked up. I saw a flash of colour one storey above me just outside the Mayor's Office. I ascended the spiral staircase and inhaled a rainbow of colour and thanks when I saw this:

Ancestral Figure with Spirit Helpers by Norval Norrisseau

3. Top 40 Countdowns combined with road trips - I'm a city dweller. I use public transport or my feet to get around. I rented a car today (will tell you why at #2.) I had a 90 minute drive from Toronto to Cambridge, the perfect amount of time to indulge in some Top 40 radio. This isn't something I get much of on a regular basis. I am proud to say in that short amount of time, 180 minutes round trip, I am now well versed in what the hits are this week. Yes, I was embarrassed when I was able to sing along to Usher's OMG and caught myself singing out loud, "honey got a booty like pow, pow, pow, honey got some boobies like wow, oh wow." And might I suggest that one doesn't listen to The Script's Breakeven while driving. That song can break even the most solid heart. That song should really come with a warning! I do love the radio.

via www.free-clipart-pictures.net

2. Giving back. I took the day off work today and volunteered to do some training with the Cambridge and North Dumfries Association for Volunteer Administrators (CNDAVA). I was so honoured to be asked to share what I knew about some web based tools that I use. I was even more excited to meet new people and do what I could to help. It was a great afternoon! I was a little overwhelmed when I was presented with a gift at the end of the session.

A gorgeous handcrafted clay pot and rosewood spoon from Hilborn Pottery.

1. Maji! My Maji is my grandma, my Dad's mom. She'll be 89 years young in September. English is not her first language so when we talk I am not always sure I'm getting it all and I'm not always sure she's getting what I am saying either. She lives with my folks in Toronto and is visiting our family in Alberta for about a month. Before she left, she insisted that she buy me something from her travels. I couldn't think of anything I wanted but she kept insisting. She started getting agitated so I wrote down my address and told her to send me a postcard. She's not coming home for a few more weeks and I gave her a call today to say hello. As soon as she heard my voice, she said in her broken English, "Faiza! You call because you not yet receive my postcard. I no send it yet. I will! I not disappoint you. I not!" Thank you Maji! Oh how I laughed, from deep down in my belly!

Practicing gratitude is great for the heart, the waistline and the soul. Wanna practice gratitude with me? Blog about gratitude and then post your blog link here. I'd love to hear what you are thankful for today.

10 comments:

Felicity said...

Lovely post Faiza! I think I said it before, but the positive energy you radiate is absolutely contagious!! : )

Farah said...

Lars and the real girl=love. beautiful movie even though a bit slow. I love movies that show the real human emotions and changes.

Also love how you said your Maji is 89 years YOUNG! Love it.

you rock TT! ;)

Marz said...

Micaela and I are HUGE Robert Redford fans! SO happy to see a couple of his movies in your pile :) I just watched Lars And the Real Girl not too long ago and enjoyed it although it was slow like Farah said at times. I REALLY love Emily Mortimer!

Your Maji seems So sweet! I love that photo of her :) How special you have that relationship with her!

I love this post - sometimes it's the simple things that we can be thankful for and I thank you for reminding me of that! ;) You truly are sunshine!

Tima said...

I can always count on you to put a smile on my face.

rIsHmA said...

you are sunshine and whenever i think of you which is more often than you think, i think of the colour yellow. you radiate yellow-the shade of banana popsicles. keep up the attitude and excellent work. you are one in a million.
xo,rish

Marz said...

I just did my own list and smiled the entire time! :) Thanks for the challenge love! It really makes you realize how blessed we truly are!

cerebral e said...

I love this, especially the story about your Maji!

Claire Kiefer said...

You are so delightful, Faiza. It makes me happy every time I read your blog. This post demonstrates yet again how wonderful you are, and I'm definitely going to make my own gratitude list and link up. Thank you for being so lovely!

Faiza said...

@Felicity - Thank you so much!

@Farah - Maji ROCKS!

@Marz - Haven't watched Lars and the Real Girl yet but will let you know what I think when I do.

@Tima - Feel the same way about you :)

@rishma - love you muchly.

@cerebral e - maji is sunshine!

@Claire Kiefer - Can't wait to read your list Claire!

Meghan said...

Thanks for guest posting, lady! I cannot agree more with the previous comments - your positive attitude and spirit are contagious! Heart you!

Post a Comment

It's so nice to hear from you! Hope your day is a lovely one!