Recent Posts

Thursday, July 15, 2010

2011 Helping Hands

Can you believe that we are already halfway through 2010?

I'm excited for 2011 and here's why.  The United Nations has declared 2011 to be the International Year of the Volunteer + 10 (IYV+10).  Back in 2001, we had the first International Year of the Volunteer.  Canada did some great things back then to show their support of volunteers and their role in building our amazing and diverse country.  Remember the commemorative dime?


Now, I don't talk about the work I do too much on my blog.  It's not because I'm not grateful for it but it's actually something so personal and special to me that I am not always sure I can quite capture it in words.  So I'm going out of my comfort zone and sharing a little bit of my work with you.  I work in the field of Volunteer Management, which essentially is engaging volunteers to do great work in their communities.  At the moment, I work with volunteer who support people living with developmental disabilities.  The work they do is transformational in helping people to live to their fullest potential.

I belong to a fantastic local network of professionals like me who also work with volunteers in a wide variety of agencies and organizations in Toronto.  Our association is called TAVA.  TAVA is the Toronto Association for Volunteer Administration.  To celebrate IYV+10, TAVA has created a blog to highlight the impact volunteers and the people who work with volunteers make every single day.  Our goal is to collect at least 2011 images of hands by December 31, 2011.  These can be photographs, artwork, anything at all.  Just let us know how the image you send connects you with volunteering.

To contribute to the blog, visit us HERE and find out how you can participate.


Thanks for showing me your hand...

No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted. - Aesop

14 comments:

Kimminita said...

"transformational in helping people to live to their fullest potential." Beautifully said and it must be great to make a difference for other people.

Claire Kiefer said...

Everything I learn about you makes me love you even more! Your work is wonderful, Faiza. I totally understand what you mean about work being so personal and deeply important--I feel the same way about my job. How lucky are we to have careers that reflect our values and hearts? Excited to check out more of this project, and working on a letter to you today. :)

Meghan said...

I am not surprised that you work in such a thoughtful, selfless field, Faiza! It's truly special to have a job that you love, and I am glad you have found something so fulfilling!

Krystal said...

Very cool! I think I would love to have the kind of job you have - I have a masters in SW and so would love to do this. It's so neat that you obviously have so much passion for your work!

Felicity said...

Faiza,
I "knew" that you worked in an altruistic, humanitarian field. The world is so lucky to have you.
-F

bklyn76 said...

wow, what a fantastic project. no matter how much we chat about our work, you never cease to amaze me with the love you have for what you do.

Farah said...

that is def an amazing project TT! ♥♥♥

Faiza said...

Thanks everyone!

@Kimminita - Hope you will submit an image to the project. You are one of the most colourful and creative people I know.

@Claire - Still keeping my fingers crossed that your program gets continued funding....

@Meghan - Thank you so much!

@Krystal - How much fun would it be to combine your two loves, people and photography? I imagine there are people who need to be rallied to make a difference through imagery...

@Felicity - I feel the same way about your lovely self.

@bklyn76 - Thank you friend. I got the idea from 1000,000 giraffes which you introduced me to!

@Farah - TT! Write back already!

Tayebug said...

Thanks for following, I'm following you back. Love your blog!!

Anna Walker said...

That's a great quote! I love it :) I am going to write it down in my quote journal ASAP

Heather {A Measure Of...} said...

Aesop! How lovely on all accounts. It's so nice to learn more about you. The work you do sounds incredible, and I'm sure we will enjoy sharing our hands. xo

tez said...

Beautifully said, Faiza. I always admire how much passion you have for what you do and how amazing you are at it. The world is a better place for having you in it. x

Barry said...

I love that you're helping people like this, that's awesome!

I've given you an award on my blog Faiza. :)

Faiza said...

Thanks so much everyone! Hope to see your hands soon!

Post a Comment

It's so nice to hear from you! Hope your day is a lovely one!