Recent Posts

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Bon Jovi, Kid Rock, the immigrants and me!

Lucky me got a pair of free tickets to last night's Bon Jovi concert from motabhai Karim.  I called up my bestie Shafik to ask him if he wanted to join me.  He said yes and so we had a date!  Minaz and her sister Faiza joined us too.  I quickly realized I was going to be in the minority at a rock concert amongst this trio that I lovingly refer to as the immigrants.

Shafik, me, Minaz and Faiza.

Minaz, Faiza and Shafik all grew up in Nairobi, Kenya before moving to Canada.  In the past when they've hung out, they'll talk about people from "back home" and the conversation continues with me flipping my neck back and forth through their hurried chatter.  I tease Minaz all the time about being an immigrant when we hang out as a family.  She'll know about all kinds of fruits and meals that my parents liked to eat in Africa.  Mom, Dad and Minaz will talk animatedly about Africa.  I attempt to keep up while I avoid trying weird looking fruits that my Mom has found at the local African/Indian grocery.  I'm pretty sure no one was going to try to take fresh produce into the SkyDome so I knew I was in for a great night! 

 Our lovely benefactor with one of his many rock and roll stank faces!
 
On the way to the concert, we did a very Canadian thing and indulged in a dinner of the finest street meat! YUM!

Shafik shows no mercy!

We entered the Dome and arrived at our great seats!

 We sat in the front row of this section.

I really didn't have any expectations for opening act Kid Rock.  Truthfully, I was looking forward to him singing "Picture" (preferably live and on key) and that would have been enough for me. 


Kid Rock was ELECTRIC!  He has so much energy and charm and even though I couldn't make out a lot of what he was singing at times, he had me pumped!  His band was fantastic! We were all impressed!  He sang (very well), played a great version of "Everyday People" on piano along with drums, guitar AND deejayed!  We were off to a great start!

Then he slowed things down and sang "Picture" with back up singer Shannon Curfman whose voice filled up the Dome.  She was incredible! A couple songs later, a shirtless Kid Rock said good night to a crowd who were on their feet.


While waiting for Bon Jovi to come out, the immigrants started with their chit chat catching up about the other immigrants they knew.  Minaz and I talked with a group of Korean students who had received tickets as a thank you for volunteering at the Toronto Green Community. (If you want to learn more about TGC, Minaz does a great job of showcasing them here.)

Minaz and the Koreans.

Back to the concert...the lights went down, everyone was screaming, flashes were going off everywhere and we feasted our eyes on this...

 
The boys from Jersey did not disappoint especially the delicious Jon.  One of my favorite moments was dancing next to Minaz and hugging Shafik during "I'll Be There For You."

Who needs a dog?

I'll leave you with some more pictures from the night and will say that even though Richie Sambora chewed the same piece of gum throughout the night and whilst singing, he was great as the lead on "Lay Your Hands On Me" and redeemed himself (a very tiny bit) in my eyes.  Jon was amazing and adorable and you'd never know he was 48 years young with a torn calf muscle by the way he danced and sang and smiled that gorgeous smile.  Ending the night with "Living on a Prayer" was bliss!  Thank you for a great night Karim!


20 comments:

Felicity said...

That looks like so much fun and looks like you had great company. : )

Rashida Kanji said...

Sounds like you all had a lovely time!

rachel awes said...

what a blast!!!

tez said...

Fantastic! I'm even MORE excited for the concert here in December!! I just got our tickets in the mail!

Phoenix Peacock said...

What a fun night to remember!

Claire Kiefer said...

That looks like SO MUCH FUN! And you obviously had a blast. :) I'm going to see Jackson Browne on Saturday night, and I couldn't really be any more excited. ;)

Kimminita said...

Great memories were made that evening I can tell. Looks like so much fun with your friends!

Tima said...

I'm so envious!

Krystal said...

how FUN! i need to bust him out, it's been so long since i've listened!

Farah said...

omg that sounded like such a great night! I'm stuck inside with a crapload of books to read! and Jon does have an extremely cute smile! ;)

ooh and I love that picture that you captioned 'who needs a dog?'! very adorable

Marz said...

Bon Jovi AND Kid Rock?!?!?! LUCKY GIRL!!!! I am SOOO jealous!!! I was just listening to "All Summer Long" while I was getting ready for work! Bon Jovi is SOOO sexy!!!! I can only imagine how much fun it would be to see them live and sing all their songs at the top of my lungs :) When Micaela and I were younger and shared a room anytime we couldn't sleep we would sing Bon Jovi songs. LOVE the photos!! What a top night!! Again, wish I had been there with you darling!

Erin said...

Oh, so much fun! I have loved Bon Jovi since I was in Grade 7 and had the Slippery When Wet album. My sister and I would totally rock out to Livin' on a Prayer! Aaaah, the happy memories...

Looks like you had a fantastic night. But since when is the SkyDome called Rogers' Centre? Guess it's been a long time since I was there!

karimkanji said...

You're welcome!

I'm glad everyone had a great time!

kk

bklyn76 said...

*ooooh, we're halfway there!...*

so sorry to have missed this after reading your review.

love that rashida aunty left a comment! :)

Heather {A Measure Of...} said...

What a great energetic post! You look so happy, I can't help but smile... big! :) So happy to hear you had a lovely time. I heart concerts! (It's been a long time!)

christy b., that's me! said...

I love Bon Jovi and Kid Rock.
Bon Jovi is in Kentucky this weekend!

Tayebug said...

Sounds like a fantastic evening. And for free, who can beat that!!!

Krin said...

Looks like an awesome time FZK...hopefully I can hear all the details when we play this week! (Yahoo!)

The picture of you and Shafik is possibly the sweetest, happiest picture I've ever seen.

Meghan said...

What a perfect night - good friends, good food AND good music! The pictures make my heart smile!

And that Bon Jovi! He certainly ages well:)

Micaela said...

sweetest faiza, I am jealous!!!!! JEALOUS!! bon jovi is a dream concert on my life list YET to be checked off!!! He went to dallas, tx right after i moved :( i cried!!! HOW AWESOME!!!!!!

thank you for letting me experience it with you! ;)
man oh man, he is STILL sexy after all these years!!!!!!!

ps. we just got back from an overnight trip and i was SO HAPPILY welcomed home by your italian themed package-- OMG, It's PERFECT!!! you are a doll!!!!! truly truly, you are always so very thoughtful. I ADORE YOU!!! a million and one Grazies! (see? your book helped *wink) honest to goodness perfection! xo

Post a Comment

It's so nice to hear from you! Hope your day is a lovely one!