Recent Posts

Monday, July 5, 2010

Do You Dewey? June 2010

Here's what June and the Toronto Public Library provided me...

MOVIES
The Way We Were
Micaela recommended this one to me and it brought out the ugly cry. Mind you, I cry at everything but the ugly cry is particularly scary. I loved the intellectual equals portrayed by Robert Redford and Barbra Streisand. Redford is a stunner! And I found out he went to college on a baseball scholarship. Wow!

Flight of the Conchords
I finished off Season One in June. Who doesn't love stuff that makes you laugh out loud?  Bret's Angry Dance is hilarious.  I just imagine him having to learn the choreography while shooting this and start to laugh! The saxophone cracks me up!   
Four Christmases
I really liked that this was an unconventional couple at the beginning of the movie.  Too bad that the ending was a predictable one.  I have a soft spot for Vince Vaughan and love how he and his buddy Jon Favreau always make room for each other in their work.  Reese is also super cute in this movie.
How She Move
The dancing in this movie was excellent.  There wasn't much more to it for me.  More Shawn Desman might have helped.

Adventureland
I saw posters for this last year in the NYC subway.  At the time, I thought I wanted to check it out in on the big screen. I'm glad I waited.  There was really poor casting in Ryan Reynolds coupled with excellent casting in Bill Hader and Kristen Weig.  Kristen Stewart was very Bella-ish.  There were a few great one liners but overall it was slow moving with a very snoozy soundtrack. 

Into the Wild
This was a book club pick a long time ago and I've been wanting to see the movie since then.  It was great to see another side to Kristen Stewart.  Pearl Jam's Eddie Veder on the soundtrack was PERFECT.  The lead character Emilie Hirsch is adorable and tragic and frustrating all at once.  This validated for me that isolation has it's place in our own sanity but for me, at the end of the day, I need the love of others just as much.

I Love You Man
HILARIOUS!  My cousin Salma insisted that I watch this.  Six months later I did! This movie is so funny and ridiculous at the same time.  

The Love Guru
WOW!  What an embarrassingly terrible movie!
I would actually recommend that you watch this just so that you can be sure of what an awful movie is.  I will admit that I watched it for the Justin Timberlake eye candy, which in the end was non existent.  With folks like Stephen Colbert, Ben Kingsley, Jessica Simpson, Deepak Chopra,  Kanye West and Val Kilmer all making appearances it's a shame that this was so dire.

Here is What is
I was first introduced to Lanois' lyrics in a high school French class.  We studied the songs on his record Acadie.  At the time, I had no idea that he produced albums for U2, Peter Gabriel, Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson.    In 2008, I saw Lanois in concert at Massey Hall.  Every note he engineers, performs and breathes is so filled with honesty and emotion. I found myself crying throughout his concert.  This DVD is transformative.  At times, it's visually out of sync but my ears were so so so happy.

14 comments:

Meghan said...

Oh sigh! "The Way We Were" is so beautiful. And "Flight of the Conchords"? Well, it doesn't get much better than that!

tez said...

I've never seen "The Way We Were." I may see if I can watch it these hols. Phill and I are going to join the public library. Our little house is bursting at the seams with books!

Claire Kiefer said...

I should totally check movies out from the library--it never occurs to me! Especially in the summer when I have lots of time for movies, but instead I end up watching reruns of Say Yes to the Dress (what???). I haven't seen The Way We Were, but I've been wanting to ever since Carrie referred to it in the SATC episode when she sees Big in front of the Plaza Hotel after his engagement party with Natasha, and she says: "Your girl is lovely, Hubbell." So sad!!

BTW, I haven't even gotten your letter yet and I'm already excited to send another one to you--haha! xoxo

Heather {A Measure Of...} said...

I used to love checking out movies and music from the library! What a wonderful way to see movies. I love Eddie Vedder on Into the Wild. Couldn't agree with you more, this music is the perfect complement to the movie. I am going to find The Way We Were somehow, even though I already cry enough during movies...

Krystal said...

The Way We Were sounds good...I must check it out. Also here is what is!

JenRem said...

Wanna know how lame I am? I've never seen any of these movies :( I need to get on the cool people bandwagon!

Faiza said...

Aren't movies just the best escape?

@Meghan - Can't wait to watch Season Two of the Conchords!

@tez - Happy Library going!

@Claire - Say Yes to the Dress rocks!

@Heather - I'm a crier too!

@Krystal - Here is What is on DVD or CD will make you happy!

@JenRem - Hop on!

christy b., that's me! said...

I agree with you...I totally love Vince & Jon's ability to include one another in all their films. I think I would do the same for my best friend and she is not even an actress...LOL.

Into the Wild is on my list to watch, but can never find a time that I'm in the "mood" to watch it...I think it will make me sad, so I alays pass on it.

I Love You, Man...kept me laughing.

I know you like baseball, so you need to look for The Final Season(2007). It is a great feel-good movie.I loved it!

Take care, dear!

Faiza said...

@christy b - Just looked up The Final Season at the library but they didn't have it. Will keep an eye out for it...

Krystal said...

Thanks for being offended for me. Those jerks! :(

Tima said...

We need a library here!

Faiza said...

@Tima - Ohhh I would love to come there and start one!

Micaela said...

"the ugly cry"-- i giggled when you had written that on my FB because how can you not do the ugly cry when you see that movie?!? ugh. NEVER FAILS to make me ugly cry. A young Redford would have been your dream man eh? baseball! ;) you're so cute. You'll have to watch "The Natural" then-- it's him and baseball. (nothing like a man in a baseball uniform!)

"I love you Man"-- isn't that genius?! Max related ha

CHEERS to great films and you for using your library. :)

Faiza said...

@Micaela - I just put The Natural on hold at the library! Yay!

Post a Comment

It's so nice to hear from you! Hope your day is a lovely one!