Recent Posts

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Heart on a cloud...

For our birthdays of late, Rishma and I have been giving each other the gift of time and seeing a play or musical together.  We started out with Dirty Dancing in 2008. The next year, we saw Oprah's The Colour Purple and tonight we took in Nora and Delia Ephron's Love, Loss and What I Wore at Toronto's Panasonic Theatre.  The performance starred honourable Canadian Andrea Martin, Mary Walsh (whose voice I could listen to all day), Louise Pitre, Sharron Matthews and Paula Brancati from Being Erica. 

What I've learned about spending time with Rishma is that the night is never about the activity you have planned.  It often has to do with the events and experiences that surround it.

The night began with Rishma and I on opposite sides of an intersection.  We engaged in an air hug while yelling back and forth to each other at what was the longest red light in the history of two women who hadn't seen each other in months.
 via

Next up was an express dinner at Oja where I divulged what I think is an addiction to group discount websites like Groupon, DealFind and Living Social.  Rishma's thinks we need to discuss it further over a Groupon dinner...We split the J14 combo with cucumber, avocado and yam tempura maki.  It was perfect for two ladies in a hurry.  YUM!

Dessert was a throwback to our childhood at Bulk Mine.  Rishma and I met as kids and both sported long braided pigtails.  Rishma's were so long that she sometimes sat on them.  I used to laugh quietly to myself whenever I saw that.  If that happened today, we'd burst into giggles and high five.  Feast your eyes on our loot and the store window that lured us in.

We arrived at the theatre and braced ourselves for the trek up to the balcony only to be told that we had been upgraded to the tenth row orchestra!  Score! 

After dropping off a quick donation of purses to the Dress Your Best program, we headed to our seats just a few minutes before the lights went down.  The show was average with moments of high hilarity and humour.  Rishma and I both agreed that there were a lot of generational jokes that we couldn't identify with.  For two women who have spent a lot of time in New York City we were lost amongst the endless amount of references to the Big Apple.  It was worth it for me to see Andrea Martin and Mary Walsh up close. 

After the show, we still had so much to catch up on and ended up walking up and down the same two city blocks for about half an hour before deciding to take our chatter to the car.  Rishma had parked up on the clouds level in the neighbourhood Green P.
90 minutes later, in a fit of weeknight adult responsibility, we said a tentative good bye.

Good night dear friend.  Can't wait to see you again!

Myself and Rishma after an aquafit class way back in the day.

17 comments:

tez said...

What a perfect and special way to celebrate the gift of another year and the gift of your amazing friendship. x

Claire Kiefer said...

So sweet! This is my favorite kind of evening . . . a close girl friend, a fun dinner, CANDY, culture, and donations to an amazing cause on top of it all! :) I checked out the Dress Your Best link--sounds like a great organization.

Kimminita said...

Girls nights out are always fun. This one sounded lovely!

Felicity said...

Sounds like the perfect evening.

Farah said...

omg...all that CANDYYYY!!!!!!

girls night out is always the best! I miss my girlies too! xo

RishyRish said...

5 hours of FZK QT. priceless.

Erin said...

That sounds like the most magnificent evening. Nothing beats a girly evening with a good friend! Especially when there's candy involved.

JenRem said...

Gifts of time are the best because they are unique all unto themselves :) Sounds like you two ladies have been having a ton of fun... and I'm so happy for you. Nights out with the best friend are the greatest :)

Phoenix Peacock said...

What a wonderful evening! What a wonderful friendship.

Meghan said...

Such a perfect evening - I love that you indulged in childhood treats! Such a special tradition you have!

And when is your birthday, missy???

Krystal said...

your comment was too nice, thank you! I'm glad I found you too!
and the gift of time is the coolest...I love it

Café Bellini said...

I love musicals! I don't go very often but they're so much fun. Thanks so much for your supportive comment on my car!

Faiza said...

Thanks everyone! Hoping you can grab a good girlfriend and have a sweet night out soon!

bklyn76 said...

sounds fantastic!

thanks for posting link to *dress your best*. i have some great work clothes to donate!

Marz said...

What a perfect night!!! Posts like these always make me wish I could come spend some time with you there in Toronto :) That is TOO cute about Rishma's long braided pigtails that were so long she could sit on them :) This post made me think of Micaela because we use to sport the exact same long braided pigtails when we were kids :) and we did a couple of aquafit classes as well!! LOVE the photo of you two :) too cute! Friendships like yours and Rishma's that include childhood memories and your own special traditions are such blessings!!!!

Heather {A Measure Of...} said...

Lovely night and happy birthdays! Friends like that are so wonderful! The angels that you've known for ages and ages, may not see often, but when you see each other you never miss a beat! xo!

christy b., that's me! said...

I love spending time with my best friend...and Birthdays are the best time!

Post a Comment

It's so nice to hear from you! Hope your day is a lovely one!