Recent Posts

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Lilith Fair 2010

Last time I hung out with Makeda, we dealt with rain and protests and cars on fire.  We also had a lovely spa day.  This time around Makeda had twisted her ankle and we were going to Lilith Fair  in a ridiculous downpour of rain at the Molson Amphitheatre.  We braced ourselves with an episode of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and then made our way over to Ontario Place and the Molson Amphitheatre.  Somehow I wasn't worried, I knew I was in for a good time with this hilarious lady!

In between rain showers.

We sloshed our way to our seats in our electric blue ponchos and laughed at the fact that we were sitting in the first row of seats that was not covered by the massive awning of the amphitheatre.  But the elements really didn't matter much as Chantal Kreviazuk belted out beautiful music from behind her piano.  Makeda and I were just getting warmed up!  There was a quick break, some street meat, french fries, a battle with a ketchup dispenser and then Lights came on and played a great set.  We met up with Deanna and Raquel who assisted Makeda in ringing out her flowing black skirt of rainwater.

Makeda rings the water out of her skirt and Deanna tries to catch it.  I'm still not sure what she was going trying to catch it for.

The rain started to slow down a bit just in time for Makeda and I to enjoy a classy dessert.

The perfect outdoor concert dessert.

One very classy lady.

All of a sudden, the lights went down and the crowd went cRaZy for MARY J. BLIGE!!!  I was freaking out when she sang U2's One and then I pretty much lost my mind when I heard the opening guitar rift to Stairway to Heaven proceeded by her singing the ENTIRE song as if it was hers to begin with.  It felt like we were at a completely different show. 

Raquel and Deanna before Mary J. Blige.

The *best* picture I was able to take of Mary J. Blige.

Raquel and Deanna after Mary J. Blige.
.
Makeda and I sans electric blue ponchos and blissed out with scratchy throats after singing along with Mary J. Blige.   

Under an almost full moon, Sarah Mclachlan came out to close the show.  Makeda and I were on our feet for all but one song and then sang our hearts out for Ice Cream.  Someone captured that exact moment on youtube here.  If you listen carefully you can hear Makeda and I.

Makeda in her happy place singing Ice Cream.

After the show - dry, frizzy and filled up on good music, Ring Pops and friendship.

I love my Toronto in the summer!

16 comments:

Claire Kiefer said...

Not sure how your hair manages to look so gorgeous after all that rain! Very impressive. :) Both Mary J. Blige and Sarah Maclachlan are incredible--I ran into Sarah Maclachlan in a little shoe store in Atlanta when I was about 28, and she was so nice! She happened to be in Atlanta for Lilith Fair. :)

Your music life is enviable lately, Faiza!

Marz said...

Bon Jovi and now Lilith Fair?!? :) I'm SO jealous of your concert line ups! Oh how I wish I could have been your date! :) Sounds like such a wonderful time despite the rain :) It's so crazy but I listened to Sarah Mclachlan for the better part of my work day yesterday on my computer. I haven't listened to her in quite awhile, but for some reason I was needing to hear her voice. There is something so soothing about her voice even as the things she sings about are so heartbreaking (for example one of my most favourite songs of hers is "Do What You Have To Do"). Then I get on to your blog this morning and read that you went and saw her! It's like we're in sync :) Because I did the same thing with Kid Rock, listened to his song while getting ready for work only to get to work to read your blog about seeing him in concert! Too funny :)

I would LOVE to see any of those singers perform live and I'm so happy you got the chance! :) I also really love what the rain does to your hair pretty girl! :)

Claire Kiefer said...

and by "when I was about 28," I mean "when I was about 18." :)

Tima said...

Yup, once again, envious! ;)

karimkanji said...

Nice life, eh?

bklyn76 said...

i agree with claire, your hair always looks gorgeous! and your music life is definitely enviable right about now.

Phoenix Peacock said...

Ice Cream is such a great song. I write the lyrics in lipstick on my mom's mirror when I visit. haha.

Erin said...

Oh I have such happy memories of a hot summer night at UBC's Thunderbird Stadium in Vancouver, dancing in the fields to the music of Sheryl Crow, Sixpence None the Richer, and the fabulous Sarah McLachlan! Thanks for the reminder of how great it was. It's been 10 years since that summer, but it's still so clear in my mind. Looks like you had just as much fun as I did!

Emma @ emmanemhandmade said...

Sounds so fun! I went to the first lilith fair in high school and it looks like the reincarnation was just as cool!

Felicity said...

Faiza,
I love seeing all the fun things you do. I can only imagine how awesome it was to see Mary J Blige. : )
-F

Krystal said...

I would LOVE to see mary j blige...oh goodness..and she sang One??????? that had to be perfection!

Meghan said...

RING POPS! Oh girl, I love your childlike wonder:)

It sounds like Lillith Fair was amazing - I would have loved to see Sarah! I've always been a fan!

Heather {A Measure Of...} said...

Awwww, you're so pretty! I love your Toronto in the summer too. A little rainy I guess, but all the great shows you've been going to! This one sounds like a dream concert. And ring pops with lovely friends, just makes me so happy to read this!

xoxo

Farah said...

omg...sounds like so much fun!!! xo

christy b., that's me! said...

It looks like you had a lovely time.
I love Mary J.
She is the TOTAL queen of soul for me!

rachel awes said...

how much fun is this?!!!
music is overflowing out
of your very life!!
xoxox

Post a Comment

It's so nice to hear from you! Hope your day is a lovely one!