Recent Posts

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Bonne Fete BFF!

Last night, I got to be part of a little celebration for Shafik's 33rd birthday!  Shafik and I have known each other longer than we haven't.  We've been through ups and downs, individually, simultaneously and together.  There are times where we will see and speak to each other everyday.  There are periods where too much time passes between connections.  Some truths in my life include his unconditional love and our mutual respect.  It's kinda cool going about my day, knowing that I have him in my corner. Always.

A small group of us converged at the W Burger Bar. It was a hot and sticky night with the promise of burgers and poutine inside. Poutine is a funny thing. It is by no means a good looking or handsome food however, it tastes like what I imagine Antonio Sabato Jr circa the Calvin Klein underwear ads of 1998 would taste like if he were poutine...


Here are some shots of the ugly/delicious poutine that was consumed starting with the sweet potato beef poutine.  The birthday boy inhaled this!

Quebecoise poutine.  This is how far I got after about fifteen minutes of shoveling it in my mouth.  It was unfortunate looking, delicious and bottomless.

Marc's burger beef poutine with Yukon Gold fries.  So ugly yet so good!

All that cheese curd and gravy goodness brought out the Incredible Hulk in Shafik.  When the decadent chocolate and vanilla mousse birthday came out he got quite excited! 

Have you ever seen anyone wish so hard?

Bonne fete BFF! 
Wishing that all the dreams you wished upon that pink swirly candle come true!

Anyone that knows you knows
that this big green planet is better
because you paint it,
dance all over it and
leave colour wherever you go!

20 comments:

Claire Kiefer said...

So sweet, and happy birthday to your BFF! I googled poutine and was a little . . . skeptical when I read about it. :) The description was something like "potatoes preferably fried in lard and covered in cheese curds and thick gravy." But I know your love for french fries, so I'm sure you enjoyed it--ha! :)

Stephanie said...

Aww, what a sweet post! I love good friends! :) And that Poutine looks and sounds gross....but if it tastes like Antonio Sabato Jr in Calvin Klein...send some my way! ;)

Mimi said...

that burger with fries looks yummy!

<3, Mimi
http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/

Felicity said...

I didn't know there were so many variations of poutine. Happy Birthday to Shafik. : )

Barry said...

Well Happy Birthday to Shafik! I'm not sure if I've ever had poutine, I can almost feel my arteries clog just looking at it but man I bet it's yummy!

I've left an award for you on my blog. :)

PS: What's with the photo at the top? It's like they took my body and put someone else's head on it. I'll sue!

bklyn76 said...

happy birthday, shafik!

mmm, poutine! i had the costco version this evening and even gave my boy a sampling...he didn't like it! bah, what does he know?

tez said...

Happy birthday, Shafik - you've written another beautiful tribute, Faiza!

I'll have to go have a poutine feast next time I'm home. I, too, never realised there were so many variations on such a wonderfully ugly meal. x

Farah said...

Happy birthday BFF!! xoxo

Krystal said...

happy bday to him!

Kushan said...

Happy Birthday Shafik. I love the W burger bar...a great place to celebrate

Tima said...

Wow! There are different types of poutine? I never knew!

Rashida Kanji said...

Happy Birthday Shafik!!

Meghan said...

I'm glad Claire already googled "poutine" because I was about to do the same! Happy Birthday to your friend!

Marz said...

Happy Birthday Shafik!! :) I had never even heard of poutine - but I just LOVE the way you described the taste - the Antonio of 1998 - then serve me up some! :) The love you have for your friends is so evident in your posts. It's so warming! xoxo

Melanie Jane said...

Hey Faiza, wonderful post - did you know on Dundas there is a place that serves only poutine! apparently like 100 different kinds - I am a hard core canadian food girl, and I only knew of Quebec poutine -- how about you and me go one day for lunch?

Heather {A Measure Of...} said...

Awww, it's so special to have friends like this! I love your super sweet green message at the end! Very beautiful :) xo

Allison said...

Happy late birthday to your friend and that food looks so good, I think I'll go eat when I'm done here. :)

Craftymom85- Blog me up baby

Kitty Darkness Designs said...

oh my that food looks so good! it's almost dinner time so i'm oogling all the food picks, haha! love your fun and positive blog :)

xoxo Tarah/MissThundercat
Here via Blog me up baby - a blogger follower swap

LadyM ~ Monique Berry said...

Sending a Hamiltonian greeting:

What a great concept for a blog and a great post. I especially love the quote at the bottom.

StickerLady ~ Swap-Bot

Carrie said...

That doesn't look very appetizing, but chips and gravy is yummy so this is probably yummy too (yay for wikipedia telling me what poutine was!).

Carrie (kiwifruit83 blog me up baby swap)

Post a Comment

It's so nice to hear from you! Hope your day is a lovely one!