Recent Posts

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Meine Deutschen Freunde! (My German friends!)

My Suzie is home!  Only for a week or so but I'll take it!  She's currently living in Stuttgart with her German love Timo.  Sunday night, they came over for a visit.  I love spending time with Suzie and Timo especially when we discuss Canadian and German culture and try to make sense of our respective cultural references for one another.  One such example is when Suzie and I tried to explain to Timo how important Joey Jeremiah was in our upbringing.  How do you explain Joey to someone who has never experienced Degrassi?  We may have to inflict a  The Kids of Degrassi Street marathon on Timo...

Suzie and Timo arrived just in time to watch a beautiful sunshower over the Toronto skyline.  Timo had only been on my couch for a few minutes when he spotted on the word Wanderlust" on a photobook that my friend Kushan had loaned me. Neither of them had ever heard the term which is derived from two German words wandern which means to hike and Lust which means what you think it means. 

We took a walk over to the Hot and Spicy Festival where I picked up some Jerk Chicken sauce and spicy Caribbean chick peas.  After appetizers that included chicken pakoras, veggie and meat samosas and ambli , we had dinner at Il Fornello over looking the lake on a breezy patio.  As we walked back to my place, Timo again zoned in on some German when he noticed this sticker for a German football club on a railing.  The writing says "My City, My Club."

I have to admit that at this point I was starting to get a little sleepy. I had been up since 5am for work and fueled by a general lack of sleep over the past two weeks.  When I get tired, I get a bit silly.  In this state of mind I made a very heart felt attempt to learn German by inserting the word meine into as many places in a single sentence as was possible.  Timo, Suzie and I made our way to meine rooftop patio.  A storm was coming in and the three of us were hot and sweaty from the humidity.  I was secretly hoping it would rain down all over meine head.

Suzie took a photo of me with Timo. Notice the sky behind us.

I quickly switched spots with meine Suze and took this next picture.  Notice the sky only a few seconds later.

We sat and watched Donner und Blitzen (thunder and lightning) just a few blocks away but der Sturm never made its way over to us.  We ended the evening as a sweaty trio.  Meine Deutschen Freunde bid me Auf Wiedersehen with hugs and laughter at my poor German linguistic skills.  Can't wait to see meine Suzie again this weekend!

20 comments:

bklyn76 said...

crazy sky photos! timo is tall! i never knew two of the reindeer had german weather names!

and, as usual, your hair looks gorgeous when everyone else is fighting the frizz!

Felicity said...

Donner und Blitzen mean thunder and lightning? I had no idea. Thanks for the German lesson Faiza. And i'm intrigued by the Carribbean chick peas, sounds yum! : )

Naaz said...

Everybody wants something....

Claire Kiefer said...

Who knew that two of Santa's reindeers were named after thunder and lightning??? :)

You are so beautiful and always look so pretty in all your pictures.

A rooftop patio sounds NICE! I'm pretty envious of that. I think I'd be up there every evening!

Marz said...

I had to giggle because Santa's reindeers is exactly the image that came into my head too!!! :) hahaha
I love how you inserted meine into your post - you're so adorable! :) I loved listening to my niece and nephew speak German!
I cannot believe how quickly the sky grew darker! We had a thunderstorm here late last night and it started right as I laid down for bed. I slept so good!
You are so beautiful Faiza! I just love looking at your beauty!

Tima said...

JOEY!!!!!!!!

cerebral e said...

Ich liebe Degrassi!

It was pretty popular in Australia.

Kimminita said...

I never imagined you'd speak German. Over here in Holland it is very normal to speak other languages besides our own Dutch. And German, French and English are being taught in school. But most people on your side of the ocean do not speak German for sure. This was a fun post to read! And great photo's again. I wish one day I will allow people to take pictures of me as well ;-)

Krin said...

What a great post - and how special for you to get some time with Suzie! I hope you girls enjoy every minute.

Also...I LOVED The Poisonwood Bible...I read it while I was living in Karlstad...took me about 3 months, as I had to savour each page...and I read about 4 chick-lit novels in between! It was so good...

Heather {A Measure Of...} said...

Love your pictures, and learning that Donner and Blitzen (Santa's reindeers) are actually german for thunder and lightning! Wha???

Always fun to see old friends! Hope your next get together finds you a little more rested and just as silly and fun! :)

MrsWhiffin said...

Your blog is lovely...glad I came by.

Jorden from swapbot

Jillys Stuff said...

Hello from Newmarket, Ontario. You are quite close to me.
Love your blog and look forward to future posts.

Jill (Swap-bot/jillysstuff2010)

Camz said...

Hello! hehe your blog layout was what mine looked like before. then i got tired of it. :D

hope to read more posts soon!

Camz (happyrocketfingers on swapbot)

CallanNMasonsMama said...

Great blog! Glad I popped over.

HayleyK from Swap-Bot!

Cynthia L. said...

I am hungry after reading your blog! So much good food!

Your photos are wonderful and it seems as if you have wonderful friends and family also.

Glad I stopped by and I will continue to follow you.

Cynthia L.
Blog me up Baby - Swap-bot

Meghan said...

These are fantastic photos!!! So glad you were able to spend time with great friends!

Heather {A Measure Of...} said...

p.s. thank you for your lovely comment about calm. I love that your dad used to (and sometimes still does) sing Nat King Cole to you! That is just so beautiful! :) xoxox

Longvacation said...

I never knew that about Donner & Blitzen meaning thunder and lightning, how cool. Of course that just makes me think about the Donner party was really the thunder party...


blog me up baby swap on swapbot

Cameron said...

You may be a bit silly in that pic...but you look great (and isn't that really what's important!) I'm sooooo kidding about it being important :-) You do look great, though...heehee.

....now who's the silly one!
Glad to be a happy follower!

Smiles,
Cameron
(PaintMyselfPretty/Swap-bot)

Erin said...

Joey Jeremiah! AWESOME! Those were the days...

Post a Comment

It's so nice to hear from you! Hope your day is a lovely one!