Recent Posts

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Nerdy at the ballpark!

Shame on me!  It's been two and a half months since I've been to the ballpark.  Last time I was there, Alida and I helped to welcome the Yankees.  Naaz and I did that again this evening.  We decided to score the game which was a first for me.

We bought our programs from the surly dude outside the Dome who has been selling them there forever!  

With our programs in hand, we headed on in!

Over the Yankee dugout singing the American and Canadian national anthems.

Catching up with Maureen!  She is our favorite usher and was working one section over from us.

The Dome was open and a beautiful sky sat above us as the game went on below. At this very moment, I was feeling extremely lucky to be living in Toronto and especially to have been born in Canada. 

Things got off to a rocky start.  Naaz and I had a bit of a hard time getting going.  She had some difficulties filling out her Blue Jay roster and I was so distracted by the different coloured markers that I had to keep asking Naaz to fill me in on the plays. In the meantime, the Yankees kept hitting home runs.  GROAN!  Naaz makes her feelings known on her card.

When you are scoring the game, you really can't take time out and stop.  Naaz and I steal a moment together.

During the seventh inning stretch there was a flashback of Joe Carter just after his 1993 World Series winning home run!  His smile is  ELECTRIC!

Naaz wants this hat.  Wondering if we can incorporate it into her wedding festivities in some way...

Game's over and look what we've done!

My completed score card, filled with doodles and random thoughts...

My Jays were especially awful tonight.  The bullpen was terrible but as usual...it was SO MUCH FUN! 

Check out the impressive Yankee performance.  They won 11-5.

Randomness...

Thanking my Toronto Blue Jays for another entertaining night at the ballpark.

Thank you to the kind Scott Buck (no relation to John Buck) and his Mom (in her Yankee hat) for scoring two innings for me so I could relish a hot dog.  They are Torontonians with roots in New York.  They cheer for the Yankees when they are in town.  I love it when I get good seatmates!

And the biggest thanks of all to my Naaz.  I love that we can be nerds together, laugh out loud, dream about outrageous centre pieces and appreciate a good Crunchy Cheeto.

13 comments:

Claire Kiefer said...

So cute! I've never heard of scoring a ballgame?? I'm way too interested in taking breaks to play words with friends on my phone, finding ballpark beers, making friends, etc. to pay close enough attention for that. haha. My attention span is not impressive . . .

Mailed you a little package today! Hope it comes soon :)

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I can feel prouder of you bhen! :)

- Aneez

bluesberry said...

Hello!

I LOVE BASEBALL!! You're so lucky to know so much! I enjoy baseball a lot, but am nowhere near on learnng to keep score lke you guys did for this game. Will definetely look into it. Awesome pics!

mmbrunet @ Swap-Bot
Blog me up baby

Cynthia L. said...

I have never been to a live baseball game and didn't know you scored them. I have attended football games, but was too interested in people watching to know what was happening in the game. Glad you had a good time.

Summer {Bisfor...} said...

cute blog! claire was talking to me about you!

love all the doodles. hahah!

Phoenix Peacock said...

hmmm... lets go Red Sox?! ha. I love my Yankee fans.... just so we can have good old fashioned trash talk!

MrsWhiffin said...

A little note book for scoring....that sounds like my cup of tea!
Mr W has said that cricket has a similar style book, and they also have afternoon tea in the middle, so I think I might have to get into it :)

Felicity said...

Faiza, you are so much fun! : )

Naaz said...

Love the nerdiness with my Faiza too!

Stephanie said...

Love all the little doodles. That's all I would be able to do, because I don't know how to do the score cards!
Your comments on my posts crack me up. Sounds like you love Prince!! I haven't seen Purple Rain in YEARS! And the only reason I did see it was because my mom said I couldn't, so I watched it without her knowing. I can't even remember it now. I'll have to watch it!

Johnny said...

I'm so not jealous of your coloured markers, not even a little.

Krystal said...

ball games are sooooo much fun!!!

Emma @ emmanemhandmade said...

Ah so cool! I'm not a huge sports person but I love going to a baseball game, even just a minor league one! The energy is great and its a perfect summer treat! Glad you had a great time.

Post a Comment

It's so nice to hear from you! Hope your day is a lovely one!