Recent Posts

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Do You Dewey? Summer 2010 Edition

via

You wouldn't know from the length of this post that over the summer months I faithfully visited my library every Monday on my lunch break.  I've been a diligent and dedicated library card carrier, I just haven't been watching any of the movies I've been picking up each week.  I've also become an expert at renewing my items or placing them on hold over and over and over again.  I was okay keeping up this farce until I miscalculated one day and realized that my 8 items were OVERDUE. One day of fines led to nine and I ended up having to pay $8.40.  I was shamed.

So without further adieu, here is what I was able to get through this summer...

Lars and the Real Girl
I heart Ryan Gosling.  Ever since his days on Breaker High, I've wanted to go back to high school - on a cruise ship and participate in Sean and Jimmy's crazy pranks and schemes.  Fast forward to The Notebook and......swooooooon.
Gosling is Canadian.  He's cute.  He's a terrific actor. You'll enjoy him in this movie because of the very real quality to this small town story.  Lars' character is so vulnerable that you just want to extend kindness to him and be a part of a community taking care of its own. 

 
Cadillac Records
If you are a Beyonce or Mos Def fan, you will want to see this movie.  This is a musical biopic that takes you through some of the best music to come out of Chicago in the 40s, 50s and 60s.  I don't enjoy watching Adrian Brody on any size of screen and was thankful for all the terrific music that made me forget him...until he reappeared again. 

The Bucket List
I loved this movie and was inspired to start my own Bucket List!
The relationship between Jack Nicholson's character and Morgan Freeman's was endearing and comical.  If you love life, love family and love people who come together in the oddest of ways and create life experiences and memories to cherish and reflect upon, watch this movie NOW! 

I may have taken this book out from the library and renewed it twice over the summer.....don't judge me.

11 comments:

Krystal said...

i loved Lars and the Real Girl :) So whenever I had library fines I didn't mind because in my mind I justified it by saying that I was "donating" to the library! :)

Phoenix Peacock said...

oh, do share your bucket list with us!

April said...

I've seen 2 out of the 3. ;) The Bucket List was a great movie, and Lars and the Real Girl was quite interesting. I really liked seeing a different side of Ryan Gosling. Have you seen Fractured?? He's amazing in that, and it's a great movie! If you like psychological thrillers, I guess.

Claire Kiefer said...

Ha, you're adorable (re: Y&R trivia)! I struggled with Lars and the Real Girl (I have a very, very short attention span and it was kinda slow to me), but that doesn't mean that I don't think Ryan Gosling is the second hottest man in Hollywood! I especially liked him as a crack addict in Half Nelson. :)

Stephanie said...

I love, love, love Ryan Gosling. Like...love him. He broke my heart in Lars and the Real Girl. :( He is such a wonderful actor! Of course, the Notebook...omg! And I agree with Claire..he was amazing in Half Nelson!! LOVE HIM!!
I always wanted to see the Bucket List....and just never did. I'll definitely have to rent it now! :)
Cadillac Records...ehh, doesn't really interest me. :/

bklyn76 said...

i <3 rg too! i didn't know he was a canuck! i also <3 mos def, so i may need to see that one too!

um, how can one person be so cute in their affection for victor newman?

Marz said...

I have seen 2 out of 3 as well. I will have to add Cadallic Records to my netflix! I haven't seen very many musical biopics (I still have yet to see "Ray" which I heard was amazing!!! Nor have I see "Dream Girls" and Steph told me I have to watch the one on Tina Turner - not sure what the title of that one is. I can't seem to remember it at this minute, but she said it was soooo good!*By the way - can you believe I have NEVER seen "Purple Rain"?!?!?! Knowing that's your favourite, it will def have to be added to my netflix que!) I LOVED "Lars and the Real Girl" and I loved "the Bucket List" as well.
I laughed out loud when I saw the book!!! :) You are too cute! I have never watched a daytime soap in my life! :) It's adorable how loyal you are to Y&R :)

Tima said...

Breaker High! hehehe. Scott thought I was an idiot for watching that, but what was not to love?

Krin said...

Oh, I dewey.

Haven't seen any of these movies...and your post has made me miss the library! When I was on maternity leave, M and I would walk to the library all the time...it was great! But, now that I'm a working woman again, my reading time slowly slips from my grasp...I'm a little slower, but still reading! :)

Emma @ emmanemhandmade said...

Oooh I loved Lars and the Real Girl! It was so unexpected and lovely. One of my favorite films of the past few years!

Micaela said...

Gossling is AMAZING as Lars. Don't you just want to hug him? and bless the town's heart for embracing him. He played awkward so well, it almost made you uncomfortable for him at first, didn't it? i enjoyed that one.

"The Bucket List" is one of the first movies me and max went to as best friends before we were an "us." It made me cry-- you described their friendship so well! and i agree with Phoenix, i can't wait to see your bucket list.

I giggle at you and your fave soap ;)

Post a Comment

It's so nice to hear from you! Hope your day is a lovely one!