Recent Posts

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Cito!

What would autumn be without a final baseball post?

A couple of weeks ago, the Toronto Blue Jays closed out their season with no chance at the playoffs and I still had a ball!  Their final home game against the New York Yankees (who clinched a playoff position the night before...grrrrrrrrrrr) was also Cito Gaston's last game in Toronto.  Cito is best known to Torontonians as the Jays' Manager during their back to back World Series wins in 1992 and 1993.  Before the game began, fans, former players, baseball greats and the Jays got to say good bye and THANK YOU to Cito Gaston.

 An outpouring of love for Cito fills up the Jumbotron.

Naaz and Kushan fill up before the emotional pre-game tribute.
(HUGE thank yous to everyone who is sending postcards for their wedding guest book!)

Fans received a commemorative Cito ticket.

 
There were many testimonials and messages of cheer for Cito.  
My favourite one was from Hank Aaron.

Cito thanks the fans and says good bye.


The players have a laugh at the expense of Cito's 'stache.

 
Naaz and I are left pensive.


 
But not for long!  Bautista hit another homer to break the club record.

 
And then John and Marta showed up to say hello!
Check out John's jersey. Vintage no?

This picture makes me laugh.  
Naaz and I could go out for Halloween like this.  
We totally cheesed it up with signage!  
Love Naaz's Cito sign.

To my Jays, thanks for a fun season and a great fan experience at every game this year!  See you next year on Opening Day, April 1, 2011!

8 comments:

Megan said...

I really want to go to a baseball game with you! You always make it seem so fun even if your team isn't going to make it to the playoffs. How long does an average game go for?

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

Aww you guys are great fans!

Love your sign-

My boys have Blue Jays hats and if you ask my oldest who his favorite team is he will always say Blue Jays- My husband grew up in Boston and is a huge Red Sox's fan.

Johnny said...

Best blog ever.

Marz said...

I am watching the Rangers game at this exact moment and am SO nervous because we all want them to win SO bad (esp their biggest fan my twinkie!!!) so I had to sign on to blogger to take the edge off haha the bottom of the 8th inning is about to begin and we're in the lead and I am crossing my fingers!!! I was honestly never a huge baseball fan like I am football, but your posts have def made me appreciate the sport so much more! :) I LOVE these posts and look forward to them so I'm quite sad I'll have to wait until APRIL for the next one :/ Glad you were there for Cito's last game in Toronto!!! :) I love the pics and your signs are darling! Reminds me of my "Marianne Loves HBK" sign that I take with me to every wrestling live event I attend :) I am SO glad to be a part of Naaz and Kushan's guestbook with some Texas postcards! xoxo

Claire Kiefer said...

I love your enthusiasm for baseball. :) I have to say, I felt very similarly last night as the Braves lost to the Giants . . . Eric and I walked into a restaurant (after Ikea--haha) at the beginning of the bottom of the 9th, and the Giants were up 3-2 . . . Eric (a Bay Area native) is a Giants fan and I am, of course, a Braves fan (having grown up in Georgia and frequenting Braves games). It was Bobby Cox's last season as the Braves' manager (he's been the manager since 1985!!!), and I was definitely in tears as he walked out onto the field after the loss and tipped his hat--he was wearing his old uniform and shedding some tears--omg! So sad!

Erin said...

It's been a looooong time since I saw a Blue Jays game in the Skydome (that's how long ago it was! they still called it the skydome!) but I still have fantastic memories of it. On to hockey season now, I guess! Go, Canucks!

Mrs.B said...

I love the signs...and your LOVE for the game!

MrsWhiffin said...

I think I need to go and see some baseball! It looks so fun x

Post a Comment

It's so nice to hear from you! Hope your day is a lovely one!