Recent Posts

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Mockingbirds

"They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions," said Atticus, "but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself.  The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."  

Marta picked To Kill A Mockingbird for September's book club meeting.  She hosted us in her home with a delicious home made lasagna and some kind of heavenly flourless chocolate dessert from OMG Baked Goods.  I thought about both for days after I had eaten them.  Back to the book...ahem...how have I not read this before now?  To Kill a Mockingbird is brilliant!  It is one of my new favourite books and one that I think everyone should read.   I know I'll be reading it again in a few years.   I am in awe of Harper Lee's ability to capture the innocence of a child and the grace and compassion of her father around issues such as racism, injustice and rape.  


Maxine is expecting shortly.  We decided to surprise her with a baby shower just in case she isn't able to make it to our next meeting. 
And she was surprised! Even after we stalled her arrival for over an hour!

Home made decorations.  Patting myself on the back for the fancy scissor work on these letters!

Marta's husband John hooked up a screen and projector so we could watch the 1962 movie version of the book.

 
Marta's playful dog Cooper in a rare moment of rest when he wasn't trying to take a peek up my dress. 

 Marta ponders what he would look like with a facelift...


 Baby on the way is showered with his own library!  Looking forward to meeting you little one!

10 comments:

Claire Kiefer said...

How sweet that you all got books for the baby! And you've reminded me that I need to go back and read To Kill a Mockingbird, cause it has been WAY TOO LONG and it is such a wonderful book. I wish I didn't neglect reading so much during the school years . . .

Megan said...

To Kill a mockingbird is such a good book, I think I need to read it again though as its been about 10 years since I read it. Its so sweet that you threw your friend a baby shower the books are such a good idea.

Felicity said...

We had to read this in high school, it is so good!

Melanie Jane said...

Until a few short years ago this was my favourite book of all time - twenty years is a long time to be number one - Last year it was removed from the school reading lists of highschools - replaced by more "relevant" material. A Classic and one that speaks to the times, and underlying issues that may "look" different and "feel" different - but still simmer never far from the surface.. Thanks for the trip down memory lane Faiza - I too will have to dig out my copy!

Rashida kanji said...

It is always so nice to read your articles.Hope ALL your days are as Lovely as you are. Love you lots.xxxxxxxxxxxxoooooooooooooo
Mom

Tima said...

How did you not have to read it in high school?
I love how your shower gifts consisted of books. I also love it looks similar to part of Ethan's personal library.

Krystal said...

i read that book in HS!! it's very good :) and those dog pics are hilarious :)

Mrs.B said...

Such a wonderful surprise.
...and BOOKS, there is no greater present!

heather yalin said...

This is so sweet! I love that you are involved in a book club and that you threw a surprise munchkin shower for your beautiful friend! So much love here, as always! Sending more love your way!

MrsWhiffin said...

To kill a mockingbird is amazing, I also love the way that Harper Lee was best friends with Truman Capote. Two of my fave authors!

Post a Comment

It's so nice to hear from you! Hope your day is a lovely one!