Recent Posts

Monday, December 13, 2010

Chocolate Snob

My friend Anjum is intelligent, beautiful, kind and loving.  She is also a chocolate snob.  Apparently, she is not alone.  If you google "chocolate snob" you will see over 20, 000 entries including some that will tell you just how to become a chocolate snob all by yourself.

After dinner at her house a few nights ago, Anjum asked Zohra and I if we wanted some dessert.  We turned down her offer of Haagen-Dazs coffee ice cream while removing the limbs of an innocent gingerbread man who was minding his own business amongst a bowl of clementines.   Craving something small to soothe my sweet tooth, I asked for a piece of chocolate.  Anjum disappeared for a bit.  Zohra was hoping she'd come back with some milk chocolate.  I was hoping for something with peanuts in it.  Anjum returned with this:

 An array of dark and really dark chocolate.

Zohra's reacted calmly by saying, "Oh, I forgot that you are into the dark chocolate."  I reacted with an incredulous tone in my voice, "What is all this elitist chocolate?!  Don't you have anything normal, like an Oh Henry?  Some poor man's chocolate perhaps?!"  Anjum, the ever lovely host said "Yes, in fact, I do!"  She busted out some left over Halloween candy and I being a gracious guest had one of each!

Feeling bad for those of you with peanut allergies. This stuff is great!

Zohra took one bite of a Wunderbar and made a face as though she had just eaten the sourest of lemons.  What else could I do but offer to finish it for her?  What else?   I admit, I tried a piece of the Dark Chocolate Pomegranate and it was good but nothing beat the Crispy Crunch lodged into my teeth and the Caramik stuck to the roof of my mouth.

Thankful for chocolate snobs all over the world!

16 comments:

Felicity said...

I love this post and I like the way Anjum thinks! ; ) Are those Cadbury ones "normal" in Canada or from a specialty shop?

Claire Kiefer said...

This is hilarious, as is the reference to "poor man's chocolate." HA! Although I am befuddled as to why anyone would ever turn down Haagen Daas coffee ice cream, which is one of my very favorite things in the world! I wish I was into dark chocolate, because it's healthier and far more sophisticated than milk chocolate . . . but I prefer milk chocolate! Although I have to agree with Anjum that "elitist" chocolate really is usually a lot better . . . Lindt, Godiva, Ghiradelli? YUM!

Kirsten said...

Milk chocolate all the way!

Melanie Jane said...

I too am a milk chocolate girl -- but I love Godiva milk chocolate with carmel... oh to dream a chocolate dream!

Marz said...

This post had me giggling the entire time!! "Poor man's chocolate" and "what else?" You are just tooooo cute!!! I'm def not a chocolate snob! Although my sister Madeline is and I'm happy to know there is an actual term to describe her now :) She'll be happy when I point that out to her tomorrow lol I am with the other gals - I love milk chocolate most of all!!! xo

Micaela said...

LOVING THIS!!! you lot are too fun and cute! :)

bklyn76 said...

like claire, i don't understand the turning down of coffee ice cream...

as for chocolate, i find the only "layman's cocoa" i can eat is coconut m&m's without feeling like i'm eating unnecessary calories.

and dark is the only way to go!

Farah said...

poor man's choc? hahahaha sign me up for some! ;)

cerebral e said...

I forgot about those ridiculous multi-packs of chocolates for Halloween! We don't have them over here. I will make sure I include some Aussie "poor man's chocolate" in my very overdue care package.

Mrs.B said...

I must be an outsider...I love white chocolate most of all...and Lindt makes the best, if we're talkin' "middle class" chocolate, of course...LOL.

Minaz said...

I loved white chocolate as a kid and didn't like dark chocolate and now it's the other way round! Milk chocolate is good any day as long as it doesn't have peanut butter in it!

Lisa said...

Faiza, You crack me up!!! : O On the topic of chocolate--Do you like Peppermint Bark? I love it! Molly Wizenberg has a great recipe for Peppermint Bark--Just search her blog Orangette for her three layered recipe...YUM! I plan to make some soon.

tez said...

I am physically, spiritually and emotionally incapable of passing dark, darker and darkest chocolate. One of my happiest taste bud moments was sitting in a chocolate shop in Berlin eating 90% T.C.W. (total cocoa weight) dark chocolate. but let's be honest, I'm not going to turn away any chocolate, no matter the kind (even white, which I'm not fussed on.) I'm an equal opportunity chocolate consumer. Can't have one feeling left out, now can I?

Stephanie said...

hahaha, you crack me up!!
I only like chocolate about once a month. ;)
And I'm all for the dark chocolate! YUM!

Tima said...

First of all, I do not understand how anyone can turn down coffee ice cream. Secondly, am I a chocolate snob? I love all the ones your mate pulled out, and these will also be found in our house. However, nothing beats a Reese Peanut Butter Cup!

Krystal said...

I had NO idea a chocolate snob existed!

Post a Comment

It's so nice to hear from you! Hope your day is a lovely one!