Recent Posts

Friday, December 17, 2010

Do You Dewey? November 2010

I've been sitting on this post for awhile but my guilt over some impending library fines got in the way.  This time the damage was $9.30 for movies I didn't even have the time to watch.  I felt so bad that I even returned them to a different library.  I couldn't bear to face the kind staff at my local branch.   That's two months in a row of library delinquency.  I feel a New Year's resolution coming on.


Step Brothers
All things Will Ferrell make me happy!  John C. Reilly is hilarious in this movie as well.  Note to readers: Several scenes in this movie are not appropriate for inter-generational viewing.  (Read:  Don't watch this while your Dad AND his 89 year old Mom are in the same room.)

Zeitoun, Dave Eggers
If you haven't heard of Dave Eggers yet, now you have.  Claire recommended this book to me just after her recent trip to New Orleans.  I find myself thinking about it all the time.  Zeitoun is the story of a Syrian born American man who decided to stay in New Orleans in the days leading up to Hurricane Katrina.  After riding out the hurricane and securing his home and possessions, he used a canoe to travel through the flooded streets of his town offering help to neighbours, strangers and animals where he could.  He was rewarded for his sense of community and caring by being arrested and being held in jail for weeks without medical attention all while being denied the right to contact his family.  Eggers does an incredible job of telling the story of Abdulrahman Zeitoun and his wife as they experience this ordeal apart, together and in the years following Zeitoun's imprisonment.  He presents them as whole people experiencing this in the context of their life as American Muslims in a post 911 era.  You cannot help but feel as though this is just one horrific story out of many.  This book really opened up my eyes to the effects of loss, chaos, fear, despair and desperation that emerged immediately following Hurricane Katrina.  It is a must must must read.

Thankful for friends who open my heart to realities and experiences other than my own.

6 comments:

rachel awes said...

oh what fun!
& big love to you, faiza!!
xoxox

Claire Kiefer said...

I'm so glad you liked Zeitoun so much. I wish you could meet Kathy (though maybe you can, cause she says that their address is in the book and occasionally people stop by randomly, and she always invites them in for tea and chatting!).

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

I always feel the same way- even the logo you put up gave me heart palpitations remembering my Toronto Library guilt- In the city we now call home they have amnesty week- I swear to g-d I plan my vacations around it.
I totally want to read the book you and Claire recommended.

bklyn76 said...

zeitoun is on my list too [i took it out from the library and returned it before even opening it up!]

let's start a new year's no-fine resolution together: you know i need the help!

will ferrell is awesome.

Kirsten said...

Will have to read zeitoun - had not heard of it. Step Brothers is a favourite around this house... "Did we just become best friends? Yup!" :-) And, as for the library, you're not alone. I once returned 2 books I'd had out for 3 years - I was terrified, but faced the librarian myself only because my friend dragged me down to the library with the books once she heard how long I'd had them - she wanted to prove to me that the staff at the library were not going to yell at me. And they didn't. In fact, they didn't charge me anything - were just happy to have the books back! :-)

Lisa said...

I love Will Ferrell, too--and John C. Reilly has his funny moments, too. Haven't seen this movie, but will keep it in mind when I need some laughter therapy ; )

Speaking of Step Brothers--family--holidays--Have you seen the website Awkward Family Photos? When you made the disclaimer about watching the movie with your dad and grandma, it made me think of this. We saw the book Awkward Family Photos yesterday, and there were many laugh out loud moments! I'm going to make it one of my go-tos when I'm need in some laughter.

Post a Comment

It's so nice to hear from you! Hope your day is a lovely one!