Recent Posts

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sing You Home - Jodi Picoult

Last week, I reconnected with my friend Megan.  She and I met in grade two and were in the same schools together until we both went to university.  Her mom still lives in the house she grew up just a few blocks away from my parents home - where I grew up.  I hadn't seen her in about 5 years and it felt so easy to be around her again.  We caught up, talked about books, bookclubs, work and travel.  I also introduced her to the Hot Smoothie from Tim Horton's.  If you have one close to you, order it with a shot of mint.  YUMMY!

Megan and I met up to hear one of our favourite authors at the Toronto Reference Library.  Jodi Picoult (pronounce pee-ku, not p-colt as I had thought or pee-co as Jodi said Americans liked to pronouce it) was in Toronto promoting her newest novel Sing You Home.


Before reading an excerpt from her book, Jodi spoke to an audience of about 300 who braved chilly wet weather and a very strict security guard - he asked Megan and I to keep it quiet while waiting in line for the event to start.  I was mortified! 

The book deals with gay rights in America, a topic Jodi said she had been wanting to write about for years.  Interestingly enough, as she was researching and writing the book, her 19 year old son who is an Egyptology major at Yale, came out to her and her husband. 

Accompanying the book is a CD.  There is a track to accompany each chapter.  The main character in the book is a music therapist named Zoe.  Zoe is coming out of a marriage where she and her ex-husband struggled to have kids.  After trying various fertility methods and miscarrying many times, they finally carry a pregnancy to seven months only to lose their baby.   Their marriage doesn't survive and Zoe and Max each move on to a new life.  Zoe falls in love with one of the women she works with and they get married.  Max, a recovering alcoholic, finds comfort post divorce in an evangelical church.  Personally, they couldn't be further apart.  Zoe wants Max's support to use one of the frozen embryos from their marriage so that she and her new wife Vanessa can raise their own child.

I am halfway through the book and enjoying it though it is challenging hearing the evangelical viewpoint portrayed.  It is very different from my belief that people love whomever they love.  Any form of love is a beautiful, sacred, honourable and treasured thing.

One of my favourite parts of the evening was when Jodi took questions.  A 13 year old girl had the floor and said, "I adore you and have read all your books.   All my friends will be talking about the newest Justin Bieber song and I will telling them about the newest Jodi Picoult book."  So cute!

What are you reading?

9 comments:

Mrs. B said...

I want to read this...I saw a review the other day and was drawn to the story.

I, also, believe people love who they love and ALL love should be respected!

Thanks for the thumbs up on this!

Felicity said...

Thanks for the pronunciation lesson, I always thought it was p-colt. No habla France.

I read Mortal Danger by Ann Rule last week.

Erin {pughs' news} said...

I'm glad I finally know how to say her name! Have read a few of her books...

I love meeting an author, and hearing her read aloud from one of her works. A few years back I got to meet Marian Keyes, and it was AWESOME!

Am currently reading The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morten (really good!) and have just finished Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen (book review on my blog in a day or two, I hope). Seems to be a garden theme going on with me. Clearly, I'm longing for spring!

PS: Ha! Would you believe the word verification is "coles"? As in the bookstore?! How perfectly appropriate for this post.

Tima said...

Yikes, I've been pronouncing her name all this time. Thanks for clearing it up. Sounds like a great book. Shall add it to my list.
Currently reading Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Krystal said...

I so love Jodi Picoult...her books are always so moving!

Meghan said...

This is definitely on my list now!

Kirsten said...

Now on my list too!

ladydazy said...

Love your blog. I need to start reading more. I'm following your blog now! :)

Jessica said...

Ooops...I am one of those Americans who pronounce her name wrong! Haha!

Sounds like a great read...I'll have to get it!

Jessica
Www.painfullyspeaking.com

Post a Comment

It's so nice to hear from you! Hope your day is a lovely one!