Recent Posts

Thursday, April 7, 2011

C is for Cupcakes

I started my Alphabet of Gratitude in February of 2010. A and B were a cinch and then it got so easy finding things to be grateful for that I forgot about the alphabet all together.  (Kind of a great problem to have!)

I am back with the letter C! Those of you who have dined with me would think C might be for Crispy Fries but I assure you that C is for Cupcakes.

Now let me tell you why...

Weeks ago my cousin Alida came to town to visit with her sister Farah. She'd been working in Kabul and has since moved to Washington.  Alida popped over to Toronto for a quick weekend visit.  It was so good to see her safe and sound on this side of the world.  At the same time, I have to say that I am grateful for Alida and those like her, who value people and their freedoms and take risks to work in war torn, unstable areas of our world.  She's one a kind. 

Speaking of one of a kind, Alida's sister Farah, another one of my terrific cousins (I have 30 first cousins, not including their spouses and kids) is also one of a kind.  After a fun book club meeting at The Burger Cellar, where I did indeed have some crsipy yukon gold fries along with Tiger Stripe and Moose Drooping ice cream, I met up with Farah and Alida at Farah's new house.  The task at hand was to help Farah make a couple hundred cupcakes for her nephew's birthday party and a few other events as well.  I'm no culinary whiz but I knew I could help out in some way.   What ensued was four hours of girl talk to the soundtrack of Michael Jackson and Sade.  Thank you sweet cupcakes for giving us a reason to come together, accomplish something yummy and have a most soulful discussion.

The first thing Alida and I did was to put the fun red crystals on these yummy heart shaped sugar crystals that Farah had baked the night before.  Pictured above is one of Farah's vanilla cupcakes with buttercream icing.  Her vanilla cupcakes are my favourite and her icing is perfection! I could eat it by the spoonful.  I believe I ate three of these cupcakes that night (right out of the oven!)

We also helped Farah to put batter in all the cupcake liners as she got them ready for their date with the oven.  If you ever need someone on an assembly line, I am your gal!  You're looking at Farah's chocolate cupcakes with her blue buttercream icing. Delish!

 
The next morning Farah took all these treats to her nephew's first birthday party and if there were any left then I say to those party goers...SHAME ON YOU!  Although I doubt that there were.

Thankful for cousins and cupcakes!

9 comments:

Felicity said...

Those are beautiful! I'm thankful for Canadians. ; )

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Wow those are some amazing looking cupcakes! They look like they are from a professional baker. Good job :)

Meghan said...

They look so professional! You guys did an awesome job! YUM!

Kirsten said...

Oh my gosh... those look a-maaaaa-zing!

Claire Kiefer said...

Those look incredible--both professional AND delicious! I wish cupcakes weren't so compelling. Although I'll always be loyal to red velvet.

(also, you're such a good friend, and that sounds like a delightful evening)

Tima said...

Y is for yummy!

rachel awes said...

scrumptious!
i, too, am
cupcake grateful!
love!xox

sheba said...

why oh why did i open this post before i've had breakfast??? fabulous photos, ghalib!

heather yalin said...

wow, faiza, that second cupcake photo is amazing!!! and isn't it wonderful to come together for soulful girl talk and bake at the same time. i spent a few hours of wonderful girl talk with an old friend tonight. and i'm tellin' ya it was just what i needed!

Post a Comment

It's so nice to hear from you! Hope your day is a lovely one!