Recent Posts

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Bucket List - Maya Angelou

How about a hat trick on the bucket list? 

I got to hear Maya Angelou speak on a rainy day in Toronto last week.  I had a view from the very top! No seriously, I was sitting in the very last row of Roy Thompson Hall, one of my favourite places in Toronto.  Even from up there, the experience was intimate and inspiring.  She started the night saying, "Be a rainbow in somebody's cloud."   Her message was one of taking care of each other and recognizing yourself in the pain and hardship of every man and woman.  At 83, Angelou was frail in body but her mind was sharp!  Donned in a beautiful red dress, she sang, recited poetry and had us laughing.    

The one thing she said that has stayed with me since that night was, " We get up again.  That's one of the things about falling down."

Another rainy today in Toronto brought with it beautiful rainbows and I was reminded of her spirit once again.  Thank you Maya.

11 comments:

Felicity said...

You are on a roll! I was just perusing over a list of her quotes on Goodreads the other day. Great stuff : )

Tima said...

Check you out, crossing off items on your Bucket List.

Kirsten said...

What an awesome list... and you're blazing right through it! So great that you have this blog as a way to honour each "check mark" on your list.

Kimminita said...

That must have been a great experience! I love her quotes and way of looking at life. It really IS that simple...we do get up again.

rachel awes said...

isn't she amazing?!!
i've heard her in-person
as well & ohhhh such a gift!
love that rainbow sentence!
thank you for all the colors
you send my way, dear friend!
xox

Meghan said...

She is so inspiring! I just love her strength!

Erin {pughs' news} said...

I love the sound of Maya Angelou's voice, and the wonderful inspiring words she's always saying. How lucky for you to have been there to hear her speak in person!

sheba said...

you are often a rainbow in my cloud.

Marz said...

When I read that sentence about being a rainbow in somebody's cloud I had the same exact thought as Sheba!! You truly have brought smiles to my face when I really needed them. Whether it was a long day at work and you randomly send me a IM or that day I was laying in bed sad about my little fender bender with the light pole (you made me laugh with the thought of putting a Hello Kitty band aid over it!) you instantly sent sunshine my way and I'm so thankful for you! :)

Adele, Bill Cosby and Maya Angelou...you lucky, lucky girl! Maya has always inspired me! I did my thesis on her my senior year in high school and absolutely loved working on that project! So glad you got to have this experience and take away so much from her.

Micaela said...

oh man, i wish i could experience your bucket list with you... that in a way i get to thanks to your amazing posts! beautiful. all of it.. her, her words. i want to always strive to be that rainbow in somebody's cloud. you my darling friend are already just that for me!

Jorden W said...

She is one of my heroes! You are so lucky!!

Post a Comment

It's so nice to hear from you! Hope your day is a lovely one!