Recent Posts

Sunday, June 19, 2011

A Letter from my Dad...

My Dad sent this email to my two brothers for Father's Day...

Dear Karim and Aneez,
 
Father's Day is this weekend and here are some thoughts from me.
 
When I was a teenager I wished, just as you do now, that my dad could be my best friend. However, it wasn’t until my time to be a father came up when I understood why my wish would never come true.
 
There is the big difference between a friend’s role and father’s role.
 
A father must provide his son constant love, subsistence, and an education. He must also protect and guide him, set a good example, and instill in him ethical and moral values so he may become a responsible, self-sufficient, and compassionate human being.
 
A father who tries to be a best friend can’t be a real father.  To be a friend is voluntary. It’s an option.
 
To be a father is a privilege, but above all it’s a moral obligation.
 
My duty as a father is to give you what you need, not necessarily what you want. When you were born, God gave me a blessing that has brought me great happiness. At the same time, He gave me a difficult mission – to be responsible for your moral development and well-being.
 
Now that both of you are  "dads' you’ll understand the meaning of this letter. It was one of the happiest days of your life – when you held your sons in your arms. From that moment on, you’ll understand that being a real father is much more important than being a friend.
 
With all my love to both of you and your families.  Mom sends her love.
 
Dad
 
 
Happy Father's Day Dad!  (I love you more than Victor Newman...promise!) We drive each other crazy but only because we want the best for each other always.  You have given me all the tools to live an amazing life and to give to others. I thank you and Mom for teaching me what it feels like to be loved unconditionally.  It is such an honour and privilege to be your favourite child daughter.  :) Thank you for lighting the brightest parts of my heart. 

10 comments:

sheba said...

Such a perfect post! Happy Father's Day, Uncle!

Erin {pughs' news} said...

That's a lovely letter. He's a good writer, your dad.

I see you're reading Alice, I Think. Next up, read Miss Smithers. It will make you laugh until you cry, I promise.

PS: Is Sheba your cousin? I had no idea!

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

Tears

Mom said...

More tears!

Phoenix Peacock said...

what a wise and sweet letter

inHERshoes said...

that is a precious letter! i love it!

Karina said...

Such a beautiful and very true post!!
Wishing your pappa a very Happy Fathers Day!!

xo Kary

Simply Me said...

Such priceless words of wisdom ..Happy Fathers day to your father !

Marz said...

Your sweet father's letter moved me to tears!!! He is so precious!! Such a beautiful and wise letter to give his sons. I know how happy they are to have it and one day they'll be saying the same words to their own sons when they are old enough.
p.s. You are so pretty!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the kind words that all of you have written. Yes, I had a lovely 'day' at Faiza's roof garden. The BBQ that Faiza, Karim and Minaz laid out was a blast. Thank God for Blessing your mom and I with a loving family.
love,
Dad

Post a Comment

It's so nice to hear from you! Hope your day is a lovely one!