Recent Posts

Thursday, July 5, 2012

My Blate in Chicago

When I first started blogging, I was really just looking for a place to record my daily gratitude and the moments in my blessed life that make me happy.  I had no idea that blogging would lead me to meeting and making memories with so many terrific people.

I can't remember how I first came across Meghan's blog The Perfect Compilation Tape.  I do recall that she made me laugh out loud under the glow of my laptop, that I think of her whenever any "Housewives" show is on and that I now use the word "amazeballs" after having read it on her blog.

I was in Chicago for a conference last month and was lucky enough to score a blate with Meghan.  We met up the day the conference ended while I was on a high from a trip to Target and trying not to melt in the crazy city heat.  Meghan and her hubby Mike along with new friends of mine Adam and Julie went to the US Cellular Field to catch the Chicago White Sox hosting the Chicago Cubs .  (Disclaimer: I promise that if I've met you through blogging and should we ever have the chance to meet in person, it doesn't have to be at a baseball game even though my track record might indicate otherwise.) Meghan was as hilarious and witty in person as she is on her blog.  Her one liners and quick observations had me in stitches and it was so nice to be able to spend a little bit of time with her in the city she loves so much.

Meghan and I trying to look cute even though it was hawt as heck.

The Cell is beautiful contrast from Rogers Centre in Toronto.  The open air stadiums in the US are perfect for watching the sun go down above the field.

The Cell by day.

The Cell by night.

Meghan, Mike, Adam and Julie also indulged me in a Chicago version of Ground or Mound. Here is our splendid kitty.

It was nice to see the lovely and former Blue Jay Alex Rios in action.  As ever, he was easy on the eyes.  Yum!

But by far the highlight of the game was Carl. This kind man with a knapsack filled with blended strawberry margaritas was so fun and friendly.  

Watch and learn as Carl demonstrates his super cool margarita machine in action.



And when he found out I was visiting from Canada, Carl presented me with a baseball on behalf of all of Chicago.  What a sweetheart!  Of course, I had him sign it for me. After all, he was the only real celebrity at the game.


We spent the last few innings of the game watching this disgruntled Cub's fan express her inebriated self in all her glory.  She was blissfully cursing for the most part but it got kind of ugly near the end of the game.  Thankfully her child was recording it all and putting it on YouTube...for posterity I am sure.

This perfect evening was topped off with some neat fireworks at the end of the game.  It doesn't matter how old I get, I am a sucker for fireworks.

You make a great blate Meghan!
I hope we can do it again soon!

2 comments:

Meghan said...

Oh my gosh, I am cracking up over these memories:) Thank you for your kind words. I am SO blessed to call you a friend, and I hope we can have another blate soon! :)

Kristin said...

No wonder people around the globe want to meet the woman behind the blog...you are a fabulous person online and offline!!
xo

Post a Comment

It's so nice to hear from you! Hope your day is a lovely one!